Girvin Linkage Fork - A good match for a GT LTS ?

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":2uib3xqr said:
The nuke proof reactor back in 97 had these forks, their team rider quit because he said it was dangerous and refused to ride it

+1 on the judy forks, why dont you drape it in anodised parts and make it stand out that way? ;)

It's a LTS 1996. Maybe a set of RC36 pace might look nice with some carbon there ?

uk gearmuncher":mudb3xox said:
cherrybomb":mudb3xox said:
And back to the LTS, what about a pair of Judy DHOs ?

This is going to be a quirky build that is more style over substance so I fancied something that stood out a bit.

What about an AMP fork then?

Just as quirky as the Girvin (if not more so) but without the chance of swinging round and twatting your the tube.

cherrybomb":1gqcuao9 said:
uk gearmuncher":1gqcuao9 said:
cherrybomb":1gqcuao9 said:
And back to the LTS, what about a pair of Judy DHOs ?

This is going to be a quirky build that is more style over substance so I fancied something that stood out a bit.

What about an AMP fork then?

Just as quirky as the Girvin (if not more so) but without the chance of swinging round and twatting your the tube.

As rare as hens teeth I gather (or overpriced in a London vintage bike store !).

SEANSTEPHENS":sa7yfx6d said:
The nuke proof reactor back in 97 had these forks, their team rider quit because he said it was dangerous and refused to ride it

+1 on the judy forks, why dont you drape it in anodised parts and make it stand out that way? ;)
Completely different. The reactor forks were an integral part of the frame really, with the shock inside the head tube and linkages part of the headset assembly.

Re:

Got to agree on the Judys. Something about Rock Shox and GT that looks so right.

If you want something a bit more unusual, how about the RS Boxxer (think they started out in 96?). A nice dual crown bad boy!

Re:

"The nuke proof reactor back in 97 had these forks, their team rider quit because he said it was dangerous and refused to ride it"
Actually the Nuke Proof reactor forks are custom made specifically for the frame (giant steering tube where the shock sits in) so whilst they're linkage forks like the Girvin or later Noleen models they're not made by the same manufacturer (the travel path of the forks is different too, the Girvins travel in a J shaped path which means the fork deflects backwards first then travels upwards, whilst the Nuke Proof Reactor forks travel in an "old fashioned linear" path.) Whether that's a good or bad thing about the Nuke Proof forks remains to be seen (I still need to finish my bike and ride it in order to compare both systems... if I had only more time). I have ridden a later Noleen fork equipped with a Noleen coil-over shock and it was OK (not great but not dangerous either), later I changed the shock to a Rock Shox Monarch air shock which was on the over-damped side making the fork a little sluggish.
There is a forum member here (Mofofo) who has an array of GT STS bikes with different linkage forks on (Look Fournales, Hurrycat Vorace) look at his builds if you want to see some over the top linkage weirdness. If you want a linkage fork that's a step up from the Girvins I would reccomend the Look Fournales ones. Very light, pretty stiff and work very well, however those are rare and thus expensive.

Re:

Some Girvin forks would look pretty cool on it, nothing wrong with them for some xc action.

Re:

Mine, very pleasant to ride :

15389720370_2f53908fdf_c.jpg

15389701010_104ecfc4e6_c.jpg

Now I am looking for another Noleen/Girvin fork, for a RTS...

I went from Judy's to Vector 2's and found the Girvins better in a few ways. Really nice forks if set up properly and make the bike more stable. Lighter too.

And the Vector 2's are adjustable so you can change the axle path ;)

Mark

Back