Giant TCR Advanced

Lickskillet

Dirt Disciple
Howdy from the U.S! I just went for a ride here in Boulder, Colorado, and it was a lovely fall day. All made more lovely by this fancy bike cycle which I've really appreciated ever since purchasing new back in 2017 so I thought I'd share to give folks something to waste time on if they wish. This is a pretty basic bicycle compared to some we see lately. No aero tubes, not super light, partially integrated cables. Regardless, I've enjoyed several years of trouble free, pleasurable riding on this bike just as Giants are generally known for. That means the most to me as the owner of any bicycle so I'm very happy with this purchase so far at 2,500 US dollars out the door from a local shop. So far the only issue has been creaking in the bottom bracket which was easily fixed and hasn't creaked since. Yay! Since I've owned it, I've ridden the bike a fair amount including on quite a bit of dirt road, rocky two tracks even single track to spice it up. It's takin' a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

2017 (I think) Giant TCR Advanced size L (carbon frame and fork with aluminum steerer) in neon yellow with Shimano Ultegra 6800 derailleurs, cranks, and chain.
The enormous brifters are Ultegra level but not stickered as such. Same with the hydraulic brakes. I assume these parts were just coming out so hadn't been branded fully, but I don't really know.
Cassette is Shimano 105
Wheels are de-stickered Giant-branded aluminum rims and hubs on thru-axles.
Giant carbon seatpost
Giant aluminum bars
Giant aluminum stem switched for a Diamondback one I had to get a 10mm decrease in length and a little more rise
Giant bar tape
Giant 25mm tires switched to 28mm Continental tires for comfort. Happily, the 28's measure to 31.5mm on these rims which was a nice surprise. Yes, clearance is schtight like a tiger.
Giant saddle switched for a Fizik Aliante saddle for a tad more comfort
Shimano 105 pedals

Attachments

• Giant 2.jpg
    Giant 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Giant 1.jpg
    Giant 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 23
I'm currently riding a +- 15 year old Colnago Asso and I'm looking for a new ride. I saw my local Giant dealer has a TCR Advanced 2 in stock, but I'm a bit scared it might be too aero/racy for me. Not that I don't like to go fast, but I have a tall body (1.96m) and I sometimes get back problems. I know testing it out is the best way to find out if it suits me, but the shop won't let me test it for a full ride (makes sense in this crazy market I guess) so I would love to hear some of your experiences with the Giant TCR and if it's too aero (stretched) out for you or not.

Thanks in advance

Yo, @hanjokhab

TL;DR: The TCR is not too long and stretched out for me, but it definitely has a solid reach so expect to be less upright and more hunched. Your mileage may vary.

Long version:

Assuming the measurements (head/seat tube angles, reach, bottom bracket height, chainstay length, etc.) between my 2017 TCR and the one you're looking at are the same or similar then I'd say it lands on the racier side especially compared to a Giant Defy. I'm 6'2" (1.86m?) with long arms/torso and the Size Large frame with the stock 110cm stem worked just fine for me. I've been on 5 hour rides and had no real discomfort as a result of the reach. More context: I don't race, and I never have, but I do ride a minimum of one hour each day for many years so being hunched over on a bike is a familiar and comfortable place for me meaning I don't get back or neck aches for the most part. As you can see in the pictures, I did switch out the stock stem for one of the same length but with a little rise so I could raise the bar a smidge and avoid using the original stem and having all the spacers stacked underneath (because lots of spacers doesn't look cool :rolleyes:).

I test rode a Defy and knew immediately that it was way too upright for what I think of as a traditional road bike. I hopped on the TCR and again could tell immediately that it was more of a regular road bike feel, but not in anyway uncomfortable in a too racy kind of way. My other road bike is a 1986 lugged steel affair (https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1986-appel-lugged-steel.429384/) and I switch between the two regularly. They fit similarly despite (obviously) looking wildly different. You can see from the pictures of both bikes that I can handle a fairly decent saddle to bar drop so if your back hurts when seeing that you might want to go for something with a taller head tube and shorter reach like a Defy.

Feel free to drop another message here if I didn't quite cover what you're looking for.

Back