1986(?) Appel lugged steel

Lickskillet

Dirt Disciple
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I love retro bikes. I appreciate everyone’s energy that makes this site a fun place to hang out.

I thought I’d share pics of my favorite road bike. I think it’s from ‘86 as BB is stamped 86 3 21. Built by Mike Appel, original Trek builder and painter later on. I really love the paint work. I got the frame and fork from a friend for a six pack of beers and a guarantee that I’d build it. I think I’ve owned it for 10-11 years now originally built up with full Ultegra 6500. Seat's all the way forward so I probably need a shorter stem, but aesthetically I can't do that, and I didn't want to throw down for a new Thomson as that's the only brand I could find in 27.4 with zero set back. I have a modern carbon disc road bike, but this Appel feels so smooth and it's so quiet, I end up riding it at least 50% of the time. I believe this would be categorized as a retro modern build. Parts include:

Shimano Ultegra 6800 2x11 (53/39, 11-2:cool:
Shimano rs501 wheels and skewers
OEM Giant tires (25mm)
Rolls Turbo saddle
Generic Al post (27.4)
Stem has NL logo with arrows?
Shimano 600 headset
Big ass Cannondale handlebar bag
Generic Al bars
Bar tape?
I usually ride with Shimano XT SPDs
Elite cages
Jagwire cables and housing
Size 59-60cm
Not sure what kind of tubing it’s built from.

All comments/criticism/accolades welcome. Thanks to everyone for posting their bikes, I really appreciate it!

IMG_3206.jpg IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3208.jpg

Back