Giant Box One & Box Two, discuss..........

I have a factory standard Box 2 in the shed - it doesn't set the word on fire.

Whilst the frame (albeit unified) isn't bad, the standard kit was truely awful. Heavy, and dead to ride.

AceraX if I remember right? The wheels are shocking.

It's an STX bike IMO, anything else isn't worth it.

i had a box one a few years ago ,blue with a yellow swing arm , maguras ,rst 381 forks and stx/lx drivetrain iirc

it wasn't a bad bike once i'd fitted a decent shock (fox aircan )

1997BlackC5":1uwbeuod said:
Nice one Stewlewis, what front forks are you currently running because those triple clamp forks do look good. I was thinking of getting some black Suntour XCR lockout forks with 100mm travel new from ebay (only circa £60). What rear shock are you running & finally did the Box One have the rear disc mounting already by the rear drop out or did you have to use an adapter to fit the rear disc.......sorry so many questions!

The forks are Suntour, a very basic triple.
I picked up the shock from Ebay, a rock shox affair for £20, the original was the coil spring job.
The disc tabs are standard, maybe this is the spec of the top Box One.
I have the original wheels and brakes (cable disc) somewhere. The drivetrain was as it is now, XT modern stuff, when I bought it.

This is what I found out of the original spec, there wasn't much luck on internet searches.

Frame: Giant Box One 6061 t6 alloy frame
Rear shock: giant gtm 7 fully adjustable rear shock
Fork: Suntour DC90 Magnesium triple clamp adjustable
Headset: ntg a-head set
Stem: Giant short rise
Brakes: diatech dp9 pro disc
Brake Levers: Diatech DP9
Shifters: sram 7.0 esp gripshift
Front Derailleur: sram 7.0
Rear Derailleur: sram 7.0
Cranks: sr suntour xr32
Rims: Alexrims Double Wall disc al-dv22
Saddle: selle italia karve

Stewlewis - I'm guessing you are running hydrolic brakes front & rear on your Box One. Can you tell me how you run / attach the rear cable to the frame as it goes back to the brake lever pls? Obviously you don't use the existing metal eyes attached to the frame, or do you (drilled out possibly)?

stewlewis":3b2s1k8y said:
My frame has split cable/hose guides.
If yours has cable stops you can get adapters I think for hoses, or file them out to run hoses, split them like mine or take the hose off one end, feed through and bleed with new fluid once in.

http://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid ... parid=root

Sorry to be a pain in the backside, but do you have a photo of what you mean on your bike or a link to where I could buy a similar product pls?

Mine

sort%20011.jpg

Finally got my hands on the bike late last night (my dad picked the bike up for me a couple of weeks ago & took it home with him). Its better than I first thought, avid brake levers, shimano deore v-brakes, acera rear mech & much lighter than it looks!!! Got just a quick look about 10:30pm last night.
Now thinking of going powder coat frame, disc's (hydrolic) new forks, STX or LX on the mechs, Raceface bar & stem, mavic rims.........what do you guys think? Looking to be all in for max £250 (mixture of second hand / new parts).

opinions / suggestions appreaciated

Decided to keep 'old skool' so sticking with Avid speed dial 7's Deore V's club Roost bars (with brace) ditch witch rims, with ano brake boosters & a smattering of Onza, Tokon etc......

bikestickers011.jpg

Giant box rebuild

Hi Guys, guess what ..i too have a box one project bike, picked up the frame a whle back and am in the process of the upgrade...was excited to see theres others like me who luv this old skool bike...i will watch this thread with interest and expect my pics up soon of my build :D, i decided to weld an additional mount for a rear disc and will fabricate a new hanger for it, i made me own stem for it too...in basic form its got Tora SL up front and a Fusion glyde rear with lock out...and just adding when i can...
Cheers, Somer

Back