FW Evans frame help

I would get to hung up on the 501 bit, its 531 but seam welded so not 'as strong'

Heres another that was sold back to Evans - 531 but the same Suntour dropouts.

file.php

Thanks again mate, I think it was this post by GrahamJohnWallace

"Interesting. A F.W. Evans A.T.B. in 531, with Saracen badges, from 1984.

I bought a silver one of these in May 1984 from F.W. Evans Kingston Branch. Apart from one black bike with frame number 0001, these were all silver, made from Reynolds 501 chromealloy and had F.W. Evans Badges."

that threw me a bit, I just didn't want to respray something if it was important..... I think I will just lacquer it as I like the patina and it's history.

Bluemels or Autostrada Engineering built Saracen from around 1985/6 in 501 - note the difference's around the seat tube

file.php

Which in turn is identical to the 531 tubed Blumels/ Autostrada Engineering 'Harry Hall' - another long established bike shop with a reputation for frame building in the previous decades:

(apoligies to those that have seen this a squillion times)

file.php

Hello Enzine,
I will stick my neck out and say that your frame is a Saracen manufactured Evans ATB from late '84 early '85.
As you probably now know the consensus is that Evans commissioned Saracen to build ATB frames for them in "early" 1984, and Saracen then also marketed the bikes under their own name. Those very early bikes had the "three piece reinforced" rear brake cable hanger (like my one in the beach photo LGF linked on page 1), sometime in the latter half of '84 they changed to a simpler single piece hanger like on yours. There's a sales brochure/flyer from Jan 85 on this page http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ;start=830 that still shows them as just "ATBs" and having 501 frames. Some short time later, following the "conquest" of Kilimanjaro by the Crane cousins they added the "conquest" name. Here's an advert from the June 1985 Bicycle Action mag. It's interesting that they are saying the bike is designed by a Gary Smith of Evans and has the Saracen head badges. By this time they are in Reynolds 531 (although I suppose it's possible they persisted with a lower cost 501 model and the "conquest" was reserved for the top spec 531 model?). It seems that the early Evans bikes had all Evans branding but the later ones had Saracen head badges. Not sure if this was some licencing deal but it tends to reinforce the idea that yours with all Evans badges is from latter half of '84.
They were made in various sizes (Saracen even made some 24" wheel "junior" versions). As you can see Evans went for the black paint too so don't get too hung up on the silver only, that may just have been the first batch.
MBA-June85-FWEvans001.jpg

Thank you MisterBin, that was very helpful and a great thred link, some interesting stuff in there. I feel very blessed to have stumbled upon this great group of knowledgeable enthusiasts.

I hope to return the favour on other threds with the little knowledge I have :D

Thanks from an old rider & shop worker/mechanic. (Reg Braddick Cycles Cardiff - late 80's, early 90's)

Back