1984 Evans MTB ?

Interesting. A F.W. Evans A.T.B. in 531, with Saracen badges, from 1984.

I bought a silver one of these in May 1984 from F.W. Evans Kingston Branch. Apart from one black bike with frame number 0001, these were all silver, made from Reynolds 501 chromealloy and had F.W. Evans Badges.

The bike appears to have identical components to mine, with the exception of the Brookes Saddle, large flange hubs and Biopace chainset which I suspect is a later addition.

I will do some research but my instinct would be to date this bike to 1985 not 1984.

Either way it's a rare and remarkably complete example right down to the brown side walled, skinwall tyres.

breezerboy":n3v9n5qp said:

Your bike is 1984 at earliest. I still have the receipt for renting an F.W Evans' ATB 0001, in spring 84 from their Kingston shop. I had to go there because the London branch wasn't stocking the ATB yet. The only Mountain bikes on sale in 1983 were Geoff Apps' Clelands, that were built to order. And Madisons' Ridgebacks (available from Beta Bikes & Freewheel).

Research results: The earliest reference I can find is in fact a picture of an F.W. Evans "Conquest" fitted with Biopace on the inside of the front cover of Bicycle Action of June 1985. The picture also shows the large flange hubs, 531, Saracen Badges and Brooks sprung saddle. It appears that only the mud guards have been added since this bike left the factory.

However the bike is, at earliest from 1985. This is Because the Conquest referred to was the 1st of January 1985, Crane cousins ascent of Kilimanjaro in Kenya. My Guess is that these bikes would have first appeared in the F.W. Evans' shops in the spring of 85.

The paradox is that the bikes taken up Kilimanjaro used Saracen 501 ATB frames. Apart from the Biopace chainset, the components the Cranes fitted for the mountain, do match with those fitted to this commemorative 531 version.

Back