FSA Conix Removal?

k_o_n_a

Kona Fan
Evening folks.

Can anyone advise how one goes about removing a FSA Conix fancy starnut/headset/thingy?

It seem to be in there pretty tight and having never owned/installed one before I am not sure how to get it out? Is there a trick to it or do I need a certain tool? Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Evening folks.

Can anyone advise how one goes about removing a FSA Conix fancy starnut/headset/thingy?

It seem to be in there pretty tight and having never owned/installed one before I am not sure how to get it out? Is there a trick to it or do I need a certain tool? Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Remove the top cap, there should be a 6mm AK bolt undo that and the whole lot should just pop out.

Remove the top cap, there should be a 6mm AK bolt undo that and the whole lot should just pop out.

Ah righty.. but unfortunately there is no 6mm AK bolt in there for me, just a hole (where the bolt once was).
Maybe its just jammed up with old grease and dirt? Will try hosing it down with penetrating oil.

Thanks for your reply.

Ah righty.. but unfortunately there is no 6mm AK bolt in there for me, just a hole (where the bolt once was).
Maybe its just jammed up with old grease and dirt? Will try hosing it down with penetrating oil.

Thanks for your reply.
Try a punch down the middle, there are two bits top one conical that pull together and force out steel gippers with an elastic around them.

Try a punch down the middle, there are two bits top one conical that pull together and force out steel gippers with an elastic around them.
Ok will try that in the morning.
Just out of interest, what does the missing bolt do? it seems to screw down so does it push them down (the two bits) and force them against the fork tube?

Ok will try that in the morning.
Just out of interest, what does the missing bolt do? it seems to screw down so does it push them down (the two bits) and force them against the fork tube?
Pretty much…..It’s to tighten an expander wedge system, the bolt pulls the wedge upwards towards the top cap, forcing the three little steel teeth against the inner diameter of the steerer tube. An o-ring keeps them in place (until they snap). God that sounded more complicated that it should be!

Last edited:
Pretty much…..It’s to tighten an expander wedge system, the bolt pulls the wedge upwards towards the top cap, forcing the three little steel teeth against the inner diameter of the steerer tube. A print keeps them in place (until they snap). God that sounded more complicated that it should be!

Thanks for your reply. Great description, now it makes perfect sense.
I am guessing my wedge must be siezed

Latest posts

Back