20ml Allen key!?!? (Freehub removal) sorted

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Hello all, have a Sachs freehub that’s going a bit sticky at the moment, but it’s gone again. I’ve looked at how to remove freehubs but mine doesn’t have a 10,11,12,14 hole, it has a sort of star shape in it and I measured it with some vernier callipers and it measured 20mm.

CAC0EB2B-BFBF-4D9D-BAFE-20CA7CD0F25F.jpeg
Just because of the angle it looks bigger.

B81DE09D-A26D-4D86-BA50-1BA3A475C8F1.jpeg
image.jpg
It’s that sort of hub.

Does anyone have i
Ideas how to remove this without paying 20 quid for one bloody Allen key?

Or is there a special tool that they only made one of in the 90s that I have to buy from Germany?

Any help appreciated🙏👍

Last edited:
Are you sure thats not the ring for taking the freehub apart....shimano ones have 2 slots, that take the freehub to bits....not remove it.?

Silly question, but have you tried looking from the other side.....like suntour.....the key goes into the non drive side possibly?

The only reason i say that is there looks like no other way of dissembling the freehub visible....that must come apart too....

Yeah, I’ve taken the whole hub apart (excluding freewheel, but due to stupidity I measured it wrong and it is 19mm, the callipers weren’t long enough. But point to point isn’t how you measure Allen keys so it’s still undiscovered. However I have fixed it with wd40, and then some grease in the sort of holes I could find where the bearings were so I could grease it.

Ahhh, I’ve been wondering what hub they where, I knew they were Sachs but couldn’t find a picture anywhere

I would be interested to know if that "nut" does remove the freehub or takes it to bits instead.

I have a nagging memory in my head about those freehubs being pressed into place in the factory.....possibly a reason they never....amongst others..... continued!

Come on! You got to "open the box" now!

Back