French rarity Alain Michel Full Chrome Excell "Mexico"Tubing

Re: French rarity Alain Michel Full Chrome Excell "Mexico"Tu

TGR":2m3dr5o0 said:
Good morning,

I love the bike - it is something very special. I thought i had been seeing things but you need a 26.6 DA seat post -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-7400- ... 20e1e68854

Saw this yesterday and it took me a while to work out where.

Not cheap but very nice!!!

Richard

thanks for the comment Richard
a bit of an understated and discreet build but the stickers Alain Michel are really very dull and not very good looking so won't put any on it.

for the seatpost thanks for the link Richard ;)
will see if I break my piggybank for this nice seatpost :shock: as I a generally avoid NOS overpriced stuff :? Good condition used is OK for me and my buids :mrgreen:

About the tubing, it is amusing as I met two persons this week end who own bikes with same tube but curved for the seatpost and toptube

one is a clm built by the same frame maker Alain Michel

the other an italian in Paris who got the frame through a former cinelli employee framemaker hence the cinelli stickers but he knows it is not one !

( incidently in his underlighted cellar I could hardly see an old Supercorsa Cinelli from the 60's , 3 Pinarello, one de Rosa, one Chesini, one Masi, out of which 2 chromovelati - most with Campagnolo Nuovo Record :shock: :shock: :shock: :cool: and he has 3 times more in Italy !

this excell tubed frame looks like these Haral ones

"Haral was a builder of very high quality frames of all types, based in La Motte-Servolex in the Haute Savoie region They linked up with Isidoro Rezze, the owner of EXCELL tubes to build a large range of top-end frames with this series.
The frames illustrated are built from the Mexico I and Mexico II sets that were characterised by the slightly curved seat and top-tubes.. The Mexico I series had four lines of "beading" pressed into the tubes that resembled long lines of interlinked small circles..This feature was known as "perle " ( or pearled) It can just be seen on the green frame. On a frame finished with chrome plate covered by a clear coloured varnish the effect was sparkling.
The tubes were used for standard road racing frames as well as low-profile ones."

I also discovered that Pegoretti was very fond of these tubes

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthrea ... 719&page=1
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthrea ... 719&page=2

This french company based in Lyon unfortunately did not last that long !

Also just discovered that the GT Steel Edge was built with Excell -
but also framemakers from the top notch : Giordana - Milano used these tubes

from old bike posts
"My only experience with Excell tubing was in my GT Edge, Excell Super
Light. The tubing seemed strong enough. Coupled with the GT design
there was little or no BB movement. I weighed in at around 170 at the
time too."
"Excell is very high grade and expensive French tubing. It derives much of
its strength through alloying with Vanadium rather than the more usual
Chromium and Molybenum.Of course it comes in a variety of gauges and
diameters so which tubes used and, as always, how it is joined is really
the question for its appropriateness to your needs. Very few makers use
it, but the most commen is the selection of models marketed by Gita as
"Giordanas" which are manufactured by the Italian builder Bellato."

"Excell was French tubing. I first became aware of it in the very late 1980s. They were notable for using super high strength, heat treated steels to produce very thin wall, plain gauge tubesets. They even marketed a carbon reinforced, brazeable tubeset. Offhand, I don't recall HR, so I presume it's probably more mid-1990s and may not necessarily reflect the earlier tubests which, IIRC were all 2xx designations.
"

"I believe that it was formed from flat sheet, rolled and welded. I have seen the seam welds referred to as "pearls' on some online discussions.
Dario Pegoretti used to build with it (may have built your Giordana) and new the Excell founder/owner. He told me that the gentleman was a "genius" and kind of eccentric. Dario said the tubing was amazing and way ahead of it's time."

"what about excell. excell podium was considered by many to the best tubing available in the early 90's.
i've never ridden one- but those lemond glx frames that billota bros made were works of art- made from excell tubing. "

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi again,

The ebay seller sells some fantastic stuff and it is not cheap. I will keep an eye out for a good used one.

Richard

. I must compare it to 753 one day. thanks for the excell clarity it is indeed special now i can boast
'vanadium ' :LOL:

oonaff":2f0dje1g said:
yes i thought it was a columbus tubing, also with that roller'd pattern , how clever to chrome the frame, it really
makes it stick out.
Excell tubing appears to be short lived,the sales pitch seams to be 'french aerospace company'
i dont know if they made other stuff . I must compare it to 753 one day.

Here we go ;)

Founded by a Mr Isidoro Rezze , based in Lyon, the company was created in 1987 and did last until 1998

"Societe Des Tubes Excell
Fabrication de tubes, tuyaux, profilés creux et accessoires correspondants en acier (2420Z)
22 Rue Paul Vaillant Couturier
69310 Pierre Benite
Siren 342 388 063
Activité principale Fabrication de tubes, tuyaux, profilés creux et accessoires correspondants en acier (2420Z)
Forme juridique S.A.R.L.
Capital 15 245 €
Etablissements
afficher la liste 1
Effectifs -
Date d'immatriculation 07/1987
Date de fin d'exploitation 07/1998"

To recap builders having used it

Dario Pegoretti
Giordana / poss frame by Billota
Certain Lemond models / idem poss Billota
Masi (modele Volumetrica)
Steelmann
Haral / France
Alain Michel / France
Serratore / France

"Just wanted to correct a little misinformation about Excell tubing and its
purported use for only small frames. I briefly owned a Haral CSK built with
Excell tubing - one of their conventional frames, as opposed to the more
familiar "funny bikes" they built in the later '80s and '90s. It was a
60cm, and even back then I wasn't a small guy - I go about 185 lbs. in
"racing shape." It was red cromovelato, bought on the cheap because the
candy clearcoat was badly scratched from lying around the shop. Sweet ride,
much like 753. I thrashed it for three winters and sold it for more than I
paid for it - it's one of the few non-custom bikes that I wish I still
owned, as it fit me to a "T". At any rate, I had no problems with its
stiffness, and it certainly didn't fail, so clearly either their formulation
or the additional heat treating made the tubing plenty strong.

I believe Brent Steelman built with Excell for many years, and there were
several models of Giordana-branded frames imported by Gita in the '90s which
were built with Excell - Podium was the specific tubing, IIRC. Don't know
who made them, but they were decent, and I never saw a failure there either.

Cheers.

Derek Vandeberg, Bigfork, Montana"

Here a Giordana XL in Excell Podium - given at 3.6 lb so 1.630 kg !

Alberto Masi used the tube Excell for example in model Volumetrica ( for name issues , Masi sold his bikes in the States under the Milano 3V name )
He had some in stock in 2003

http://milano3v.com/frame_inventory/ind ... rame=Steel

I discovered that the GT edge Steel was also in Excell

"My only experience with Excell tubing was in my GT Edge, Excell Super
Light. The tubing seemed strong enough. Coupled with the GT design
there was little or no BB movement. I weighed in at around 170 at the
time too.
"

Here a "plunging frame" from the same framemaker "Alain Michel " and in the same pearled tubing

here a model from a very small french framemaker from Cannes on the French Riviera "Serratore" superb :cool:

From the post, I sorted out a few references of tubes

ECO
PODIUM
GLX
Mexico I / Mexico II

but I found later another tube spec sheet :idea:

Re: Alain Michel - Curved Seat Tube

Hi,

Here's a few photos of my Alain Michel, same Excell tubing except mine has a curved seat-tube for a shorter wheelbase, plus mine has an aweful colour scheme! about to be re-painted...

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,646
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,646
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,646
Re:

As I thought the campagnolo seatpost was a bit "misplaced" , I found a nice Selcof fluted seatpost -
not Dura Ace but alas !

did a 55 miles ride saturday and , well the bike is nice but its my legs that are not in as good a shape :roll:
the 39 chainring is a bit "short" in the pretty steep climbs that you can find in the vallee de chevreuse outside paris :shock:
wonder if I am not going to change to a triple setup :facepalm: ( you can do that with a TA middle chainring that carries the granny and an accessory that allows the front to work for a triple :idea: )

Back