Which group for such a frame ? - a rather rare french one

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi
I have just sourced this full chrome frame from a pretty renowned french framemaker "Alain Michel"
He used to make frames but in very small numbers , mostly for french pros or good amateurs in the vicinity of Paris
His trademark was three circles and on the headpivot tube and an M made with an "arc de triomphe" on his forks

This is a full chrome frame with Excell tube from the Mexico tubeset (courtesy Norris Lockley)
Fork at 710g and frame about 1700g ( need to undo the bottom bracket and headset cups to confirm)

No shifter possible on downtube - just a cable stop so it makes me think it must be from the beginning of the nineties.
Do you agree ?

I don't see another group than the Dura Ace 7400 on this frame ?! :idea:

would you say , its coherent ?
other ideas ?
Edco competition ?

Re: Which group for such a frame ? - a rather rare french on

Wow! that's really nice, Dura Ace for sure.

Love that. Love the tubing, lugs seat cluster... the cable stop on the downtube limits your choices somewhat. If I was forced down the STI/Ergopower route, I'd pick early Duraace definately.

originalshinkicker":26kdjg0i said:
Love that. Love the tubing, lugs seat cluster... the cable stop on the downtube limits your choices somewhat. If I was forced down the STI/Ergopower route, I'd pick early Duraace definately.

7400 is not that early in the dura ace range ( I ve got also a black first gen DA group so about 1973 :idea: ) ;)
its true that its already about 25 years old now :LOL:

What a corker of a French frame, not very often you see a quality French frame but they are out there!

Not trying to hijack your thread but I have a similar French frame too! But without the fancy design on the tubes! Rear dropouts/shot in stays are very similar.

cddb2264-f8c3-4375-b452-0061415a0cfc_zps4af1062d.jpg

88d81eb6-f141-4d3d-9c49-e9a6a499557a_zps7e2f76e9.jpg

4415e7b0-a931-48bc-900d-09168cde0d81_zps065ff177.jpg

Ian Raleigh":3b8i69u6 said:
What a corker of a French frame, not very often you see a quality French frame but they are out there!

any engravings on your frame somewhere or BB ?

yours seems in pristine condition

there were small good framemakers in France like the Bob Jackson or Ron Cooper on your side of the channel
but not enough frames crossed the channel to make the name well known to the british ;)
but most of these outfits are now extinct :(

Singer in Levallois is an exception and has a name that commands a pricetag that can support his business - a bespoke frame is about 2500 to 3000 euros :roll: :facepalm:

a handful are alive now but mostly young guys with a passion and finding enough customers with the same bike passion to make the business viable but mostly on niche markets
like Vagabonde, Salamandre, JRD, etc...

bduc61":3cu93fnv said:
any engravings on your frame somewhere or BB ?
I can't remember matey! The frame was stripped right back hoping that it was all chrome
but wasn't, so I resprayed it and could get any replacement French decals so I turned
the frame into a Motobecane!! This is my winter bike now.

picturesss006_zpsf897ab3d.jpg

Anyway matey lets get back on track with your lovely French frame and what you intend to equip it with. ;)

Depends on money: cheap option a Shimano RX100, silver finish is perfect with it.

Caneco":2xqcm4gw said:
Depends on money: cheap option a Shimano RX100, silver finish is perfect with it.

I have got more luxurious tastes ;)
I have this bike to unstrip so 7400 is clearly the favorite in the race

by the way - it is from another small frame maker Didier Louis ( a former pro turned framemaker who used to do CLM too and was a pionneer of carbon in France) A nice fillet brazed Columbus EL frame :cool: which I had repainted a few years ago because of a multicolour ugly 90's painting ! but now I nearly regret it as black is a bit dull :?
but saddly a bit smallish for me so I think the swap will unfold possibly rapidly

P1030338_zps634769d0.jpg

P1030335_zps71b9cb52.jpg

P1030340_zpsc80bbd68.jpg

Back