Freight 8 missing rear wheel

Coolcatbob54

Retro Newbie
I'm trying to restore a freight 8 cargo bike, however I'm having an issue with the rear wheel fitment. Does anyone know if the sturmley archer hub has been specially adapted to fit the shaft? How does it lock in? Thanks in advance

sturmey hubs are not that popular in retrobike, just the nature of the bikes they are on are not usually featured here that often. having looked at the bike you're talking about and seen it was designed and made by Mike Burrows that would suggest a lot of specific machined parts, looking at the video on youtube that came up when i googled it, that bike had a single sided fork and rear frame, so that would suggest he modified something. i would suggest contacting the sturmey archer UK importers, as that would be where he got his parts from. i would think the most likely place would be a company called The Cycle Division, they stock more sturmey parts than any other place.

sales@thecycledivision.com try this email, i have always found them helpful, mention the project, with a picture or 2 of the bike, and mention also they are made by mike burrows, just to name drop, they may be able to tell you what parts mike used, hopefully he did get the parts from them, from that you should be able to see what has been modified if at all.

Last year I converted a local customers 8 freight to front and rear disc brakes so had a lot of contact with the original wheels and modified a pair of Hope hubs to work with the original axles of the 8 freight.

It was a LOT of work to machine inserts for the hubs with a 1/2” broached hex drive for the rear axle and press/bond them into place.

If you get stuck, I can ask the customer if I can borrow his original drum brake wheels to take some measurements from, even potentially convert a hub for you if you can’t find anything.

Attachments

• 12174416-735D-467F-AF95-96B1B0724B59.jpeg
    12174416-735D-467F-AF95-96B1B0724B59.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 23
  • B5F99B6D-92F0-4DAF-A73B-65EFA51DF466.jpeg
    B5F99B6D-92F0-4DAF-A73B-65EFA51DF466.jpeg
    856.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 36C75E8E-477C-4C4E-BC6C-D6AA8AD2BEDB.jpeg
    36C75E8E-477C-4C4E-BC6C-D6AA8AD2BEDB.jpeg
    917.4 KB · Views: 23
  • BD1B23C0-5C82-4A83-A733-6DB2873C76F5.jpeg
    BD1B23C0-5C82-4A83-A733-6DB2873C76F5.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 25
I thought Sturmey had a load of cycle car hubs on their site but they don't, maybe I'm miss-remembering.

They have some side mount drum hubs but only fronts.

Google doesnt show much for searches around 'Sturmey side mount hub' Sturmey trike hub' or 'Sturmey cycle car hub' so I'm guessing they are pretty specialized.

Coolcat - I’m wondering how you got on with this brake job? Baby allowing of course! I’ve just fitted new SA rear shoes 90mm to my 8 freight because it was locking-on the arm not returning to position. The new brakes are still sticky with the arm not springing-back as it should, though not as bad as it was. I’m hoping it will bed-in... The same has started with the front brake - the sticky arm not springing back- so will replace that also.

Replacing the brake shoes was a relatively straightforward canibalisation of what was there combined with new shoes from SJS cycles. Pretty much all of it is non-standard I think but also made from standard parts. If that makes sense. I’m no expert btw. An everyday 8 Freight user not bike engineer.

I have wondered about the simplicity of putting double blade forks on the front to replace the mono-blade and get a disc brake & maybe even battery power.

August Bicycles we might need to chat…John Borwell mentioned what I think must be your engineering as there can’t be too many people putting discs on 8 Freights.

HNY to all.

Still not fitted the new shoes to mine, although notably mine are 70mm! (I did hear that some were 90mm, like yours).

I too have considered fitting a double blade fork on the front, and running a v-brake or a disk. Don't think it would be difficult, you just need an engineer to fit an extra long steerer.

HNY

Still not fitted the new shoes to mine, although notably mine are 70mm! (I did hear that some were 90mm, like yours).

I too have considered fitting a double blade fork on the front, and running a v-brake or a disk. Don't think it would be difficult, you just need an engineer to fit an extra long steerer.

HNY
Well, within reason that’s one way you could do the fork. You’d obviously have to find a fork that has the correct A to C and rake to make sure you don’t completely ruin the handling and ensure it’s solid enough for use on a cargo bike.

Given that this thread is a year old, but updated recently.....
My 8Freight has a 70mm Acelo rear drum/hub, I guess similar to sturmey.
The hub has a piece of aluminium bonded in that effectively makes the hub solid, and this piece is broached out to the hexagon form of the axle. The wheel is held on by a washer and m6 (?) screw.

The front has just got a housing for the two bearings. Again 70mm.

I’m still messing about with my 8 freight SA hub brakes. They get stuck on. The rear lever arm is sloppy it has a bit of play and moves on its own. And gets stuck. The front lever arm has no sloppiness, but still gets stuck. Any ideas how to solve? I’ve replaced the shoes. No difference. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back