Wanted Wierd 96/126mm 26" Wheelset Needed for Raleigh Lizard

nstarmore

Retro Guru
Edit: updating this ad as I've stopped presuming and actually started measuring things.

I'm restoring a Raleigh Lizard for someone (sentimental value) and unfortunately the wheels are not even close to being salvagable, I thought it would be as easy as finding a 100 130 alloys wheelset and swapping that in but how now discovered that for some inexplicable reason Raleigh used 96/126 hubs on these.

I know it's a longshot but does anyone have a suitable wheelset lying around?

*Just to add this is a build for a friend of a friend and is a cost of parts only build, I'm not trying to profit on this in case it sounds dodgy

Last edited:
I have a pair of Raleigh steel wheels what was probably the same as the originally fitted to the the lizard, i can get some photos if your interested

I reckon you should be able to squeeze some 100/130mm wheels in. Have you tried a 100mm in the front? I've had 130mm wheels on a 126mm road frame.

I reckon you should be able to squeeze some 100/130mm wheels in. Have you tried a 100mm in the front? I've had 130mm wheels on a 126mm road frame.
I have, its a proper gas pipe jobby and there's very little give in the frame, so would take some persuading.

130 rear is more likely so might have to resort to that if it comes to it but would prefer to do it properly if at all possible.

Reactions: CTK
I've squeezed a 130 into frames ranging from 120 to 126 with very little issue. The 120 ones did require a bit of brutal persuasion but yea...

If you're still looking, I have a pair of Shining (far Eastern make) wheels I can offer. The rear oln measures up at 126mm. Front is 100mm but the locknuts are pretty chunky and probably can be swapped out for thinner ones (might have some) to reduce the oln a good bit.

I have sourced some now (via buying another bike tbh) but still steel rimmed and not the best condition wise just better than what I had originally.

Are these alloy rimmed by any chance?

I have sourced some now (via buying another bike tbh) but still steel rimmed and not the best condition wise just better than what I had originally.

Are these alloy rimmed by any chance?
Righto, I thought you might have sorted something now you've had your ad posted for a while. But to answer you about the rims- the wheels are alloy, although just unknown far Eastern jobbies, so nothing special. BTW they're in black so not sure if that would suit your bike.

Back