Freewheel feels stodgy?

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Just swapped over to a nice sram 9 speed cassette (pics below), a nice step up from Shimano hyperglide. However when I put it on I noticed the freewheel on the hub wasn’t working as well, it feels very stodgy? Is it because it’s light?
Have I done something wrong? Is it a common problem?

Any help appreciated🙏

Thanks for looking👍 53A6ABE8-6BF1-47D2-A845-8BF04B518183.jpeg only photo I’ve got I’m afraid😅

Just swapped over to a nice sram 9 speed cassette (pics below), a nice step up from Shimano hyperglide. However when I put it on I noticed the freewheel on the hub wasn’t working as well, it feels very stodgy? Is it because it’s light?
Have I done something wrong? Is it a common problem?

Any help appreciated🙏

Thanks for looking👍View attachment 670531only photo I’ve got I’m afraid😅
How old is your wheel?

When holding the axle in your hands and letting the wheel roll, hold the cassette, it should hold smoothly and no resistance other than that from the freewheel.

Freewheels or cassettebodies are replaceable, but I never needed to replace one yet

When I hold it and spin it, there is significant resistance for the cassette I have gave it a good clean and it is better. However, to remove the freewheel hub I need an Alan key bigger than a 10mm.
The only problem is with the stodgy cassette is when I start of, I pedal back to get most power to start off, but the chain just slackens and the cassette doesn’t take up the slack.

Perhaps the cassette is binding on the frame? What hub is it and what cassette was on it before? With the wheel off the frame, does everything move ok? If it doesn't, sounds like the freehub is either gunked up or bearings are on the way out.

The cassette isn’t binding on the frame because when the wheel is off the bike it still spins sticky, the hub has only Been used for about 50 miles, so the bearing are completely fine. I originally had a 8 speed cassette, but now I swapped to a 9 speed,
But when I take the cassette off, the free wheel still feels gummed up. So I’m just going to buy a bigger Alan key and just that the freewheel off. And if it doesn’t look good I’ll just buy a new one👍 Will tell you if it’s sorted later

That 10mm will only take the entire body off - it won't break in to it if you want to clean it.

You need a specific tool for that. It's basically a 2 prong tool that unwinds the top cone of the freehub.

Like this:

Latest posts

Back