Freewheel compatibility on 126mm hubs

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I recently acquired a vintage road bike with a 126mm rear hub with a 5 speed shimano freewheel mounted. I intend to use this bike as frequent rider and would like to upgrade to a 7 speed freewheel (ideally a shimano HG one to get that really slick friction shifting). I've read different things about the ability to swap the 7 speed in without having to move around spacers / re-dish the rear wheel.

I've searched the website and this doesn't seem to have been discussed before. Has anyone done this before? If so I'd appreciate your advice.

It should work, depending on the freewheel.... 126mm OLN was used for 6 and 7 speed, this stretched to 130mm when 8 speed arrived. If the smallest sprocket is quite large, you might have clearance issues with the chainstay. Otherwise, a 7s should be OK

Assuming you are only replacing the freewheel you will not need to re dish the wheel. If you change any of the spacing washers on the hub to alter the OLN ( over lock nut) dimension you will need to re dish the wheel.

Back