Frame Tubing Sets - weights

daccordimark":1z7hz1uz said:
That's quite interesting as I've always believed my Columbus SL frame was heavier than the 531SL one it replaced. It's a darn sight stiffer that's for sure.

Mark.
its also much more robust 531 dents very easily and is much softer to work with

there might be a bit of apples and pears comparisons here, not sure of my dates ??

Ned's original info was from 1982, the point at which there was simply 531 (the same for both racers or tourists) and 531SL for those who wanted a lighter frame.

Ed's info is later than that, 531SL had been discontinued and 531Comp had been introduced for sporting bikes and 531SuperTourist existed for touring bikes.

So Ned's 531 is not the same as Ed's 531 ... not sure where the MKM ultimate fits, as I'm not au fait with the MKM's age??

pigman":25wcryoh said:
So Ned's 531 is not the same as Ed's 531 ... not sure where the MKM ultimate fits, as I'm not au fait with the MKM's age??

1980 (probably), one of the last MKM's built, so it's 'proper' 531. The Dave Russell is 1973 so, if they are both 531, then they should be the same (in theory!).

Such a long time ago yet it feels like only yesterday...............................

AndyPA":3jqdt94j said:
daccordimark":3jqdt94j said:
That's quite interesting as I've always believed my Columbus SL frame was heavier than the 531SL one it replaced. It's a darn sight stiffer that's for sure.

Mark.
its also much more robust 531 dents very easily and is much softer to work with

Everyone always said never let the 'bars swing round and hit the top tube because they will dent it. I've got a crimped seat tube on my 531SL where the Super Record front mech was clamped on.

FWIW mine is also an MKM but not a "genuine" one. I bought it new off a fella called Stanley McBride (in Ormskirk I think). Reading the history of MKM on Classic Rendezvous (http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... M_main.htm) I'm wondering if he was the Liverpool enthusiast who bought up the name etc. from Adam Hill. It was beautifully made and nicely finished but a careless landlord combined with a tin of creosote ruined the paint work so now it sports a very plain single colour. I've recently bought some MKM decals off H Lloyd and when I get the time I'll put them on and post it up on here.

Mark.

Back