Steel modern 27.5" lightweight bicycle project. Wich frame?

Give Shand a bell in Scotland. No idea what their weights are but they have a couple of MTB's

Nordest is 29" or plus tires or 4130 wich weighs around 2.5kg
Orange is Reynolds 525 so more than 2.5kg, near 3kg

Not easy.

Mikey08 is right. Ever since the CEN Regulations came in, manufacturers have had to beef up their frames to pass.
I’m sure you have reasons for your preferences, but to be honest for the kind of bike you’re asking for, a carbon 29er would be most people choice so that’s what manufacturers make.

It sad but I think that the tradicional XC fast steel MTB bicycle is dead. Custom or nothing as Mikey have said.

Now you have many options with 29, fat, plus, enduro, bike packing etc, but the traditional XC, no. Chris Chance still do it, but custom. Independet Fabrication do it but custom. Oxia do it and it is custom but it will be more than 1500 euros with options.

I´m building a Fuji shout light 1995 frame and I love it. I want one like that but modern geometry and 27.5, full bicycle around 9-9.5kg and this is not rare, a Marin Team Issue 1996 weights 10.7kg with a Mach 5 and stock XT components, 520 pedals. This will go with tune, SID, a 1,4kg or less wheel set, XTR etc.

For carbon I have one Dual susp quite fast and weigh is around 11.5-12kg (last time 11,7kg) with dropper post (Divine SL) and a minion DH front tire that weights a lot but grips like no all-mountain tire do.

I guess there's just no market for them when it comes to XC as people who tend to buy a 'proper' XC bike these days want them to race and therefore as light as possible. You can make them lighter and cheaper out of aluminium or much lighter and not much more expensive out of carbon. Steel makes sense when you move away from what is classed as XC these days as there's less focus on weight.

Have you looked at any steel gravel bikes? Cotic have a new one out that is off road focused and my Ragley Trig is 650b and slacker than most drop bar bikes. Plenty of people putting flat bars on gravel bikes.

Might be worth testing a couple of heavier bikes too as they don't ride like you might expect.

My old 2009 Orange 5 was around 27/28lbs and the thought of going over 30lb was horrific. Bet my current Stage 5 is at least mid 30's but feels no worse for it and is a far more capable bike.

Back