Steel modern 27.5" lightweight bicycle project. Wich frame?

madjh

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
I´m trying to find a steel frame, hard tail, less than 2kg, normal 27.5 tires (not fat or plus) with modern geometry (head set less than 68º etc) XC - All mountain frame. It has to be New, and something that I can buy.

Price not far from 1000 euros.

I have find ... Near nothing. One brand. Kona honzo has plus tires, stanton sherpa etc weighs a ton ...

853 reynolds, Fuji shout light, Tange superlight ...nothing in 27.5. Other option: Titanium (I will increase the budget) but not a chineese frame. I want something for decades, not something that I will get bored in few months.

New fat chance, and IF are no options now. They have a high price but to import it is even worse, so no posibility. I have to buy in UE or UK.

Any ideas with this details? I find little.

First: Oxia. Hand made and total personalization ... price goes up if you add internal cable routing, 1-1.5 head set, paint etc. So near 1500 euros. I don´t know the weight, diferent steels Columbus or Dedacciai so I have no clue.

1644172929419.png

Last edited:
Late 00s Kona Explosif runs sliding dropouts, so 27.5 is achievable with the dropouts slid back as far as they will go. Some were 853 i think, some are Deda tubing. They are frames originally designed for 26" wheels though.

Not steel but Ti so even nicer to ride Is a Kingdom Vendetta. Little tiny bit over budget but well it’s Ti

I’ve had mine a few years and as far as modern hardtails go it’s about the best in my opinion.

I've been looking at Sonder recently. They do their Signal model in steel (ST) and are pre-ordering a titanium one too.

I know ritchey and looks good ... until you see the weight: 2.5kg 😩That is too much, a modern dual susp weights that or a bit less and no modern too, My 2000s Element TO was 2.2kg, my 2005 is 2.5. My HT Fast Rock steel frame is around 1.7-1.8kg and it is 1995 so, it can be done but I don´t find the frame.

I know some frame builders in UE and USA, but they are quite expensive. Ritchey was ideal, but my Comencal Meta HT weights that and I need a fast light bicycle.

How about a Cotic Soul 650b ? I think that the frame is 2kg, and the angles look good too.
Sould is Reynolds 853, but 4130 rear end. That makes not as light as the old stuff, but it is a bit more than 2kg. (oficial 2.041kg). Not bad. I can live with that.

The geometry is a bit more in the All mountain side than XC side but I like it, it is one real option :)

EDIT:

Cotic Sould is discontinued. The frame has to be new and in production, something that I can buy. https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Got-no-Soul-.html?soid=1101160976697&aid=AEopdjlLau8

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back