Fox forks seized help or advice please!

Re: Re:

wookiee":1hfqlqqn said:
Would a kit like this be the one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301152370414? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks

Doug

That kit looks fine, although I'd drop them a line to double check. Mojo are out of stock of 32mm kits and are more expensive at £55.

How old are the forks?

If crud has got pads the wiper seals I'd replace the foam rings (in Fox kind you're supposed to lift the wipers regularly and squirt the green float oil on the wipers).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Mindmap3":2ypu8gj1 said:
wookiee":2ypu8gj1 said:
Would a kit like this be the one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301152370414? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks

Doug

That kit looks fine, although I'd drop them a line to double check. Mojo are out of stock of 32mm kits and are more expensive at £55.

How old are the forks?

If crud has got pads the wiper seals I'd replace the foam rings (in Fox kind you're supposed to lift the wipers regularly and squirt the green float oil on the wipers).

The forks are 2012 I believe....They have seen a load of mud this winter and I have not serviced them at all for the year I have owned them. Until I take them apart I wont know the condition of the foam rings...

I'd swap the seals out if you're dropping the lowers. It's not hard to do, prise them out gently with a screwdriver or similar, lube the new seals and push them in (this bit can be quite hard). I also put a bit of fork grease (Pace RC7 or similar) around the dust seals.

Re:

Just make sure you've allowed for plenty of time to service the forks, as one of the last bits, putting the stanchions back into the lowers takes a lot of patience and a fair bit of swearing. Coat the lower part of the stanchions in suspension oil as this will help you to slide them on, although you will still probably pinch the seals a few times before you manage to get them to locate.

Kind Regards

Liam

I find taking the forks off the bike easier....some do it in a work stand and leave the uppers attached. I find getting the lowers onto fixed pipers really hard and a sure fire way to pinch the seals whereas inserting the uppers into the lowers is much easier (well it is for me ).

It's certainly worth the extra 5 minutes to take the brakes/forks/bars off the bike.
Makes the while job far easier, especially since no-one uses loose ball headsets anymore!

Re:

Right well thats that sorted! Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I took an hour or so this morning to get this job done. I removed the forks from the bike and detached the brakes to make for an easier job. I got a seal and o ring kit for £20 and the oil for about £6. The oil that came out of the forks was misty and had dark sediment in it and the foam o rings were discoloured and grubby. The stantions on one of the legs were marked where I think a bit of grit had become lodged in the wiper seal. All good now though and they seem much smoother. I was surprised that the amount of oil that went into the damper side was 160ml! The old oil that came out was far less probably half that. But hey I still have another change of oil left for another service in the future too!

Happy days thats another job that I am happy to do myself!

Thanks all

Doug

Latest posts

Back