Fox forks seized help or advice please!

mattr":s20xevhi said:
Might be worth doing yourself a lowers service.
Takes about 20 minutes and gives you a chance to inspect the main load bearing bits and check for damage.

It's recommended to do the lowers every 15-25 hours iirc.
If you find anything nasty, it'll be time to send them off.

Could give it a try...not serviced forks or taken them apart before...How easy/hard is it and am I in danger of screwing it up! :facepalm:

As long as you are methodical and clean it's easy.
There are videos and guides all over the Internet. Even on the fox home page.
They even tell you the bits you need, oil quantities, torques and so on.

I service all of our forks, 6 or 7 pairs, and except for me bodging one, I've had no issues in 10 years. (The bodge was cosmetic)

It's pretty straight forward. You'll need new crush washers for the bolts at the bottom of the legs.

Mojo do service kits that include both types of oil, seals, crush washers etc.

Re:

Thanks guys I'm going to give it a go! I used to worry about bleeding disc brakes now have no worries doing that, so this is the last thing left that I need to learn! Volume of oil is a bit of a mystery! It seems that I would want 160ml one side and 30ml the other? Found the info on the fox site a bit baffling! Couldn't seem to find my exact fork, Fox Float 29 RL think they are a 2012? It looks like I would just need the green Fox oil? What is the difference between green and red? Is it essential to use Fox own brand? I have seen the wipers and foam o ring kits for about £20 would I just need the oil aswell? The video I have seen online only used 20ml of oil each side?

Thanks for the advice so far!

Doug

The damper side normally has more oil to control the compression and rebound. The spring side just uses the oil for lubrication.

There are two colours because they are different viscosities, one is a heavier weight than the other. You don't need to use Fox fluid, but they normally supply one oil in smaller quants. Motul oil is supposed to be very good....that is what I use in my BOS forks.

Mindmap3":10qawk9b said:
The damper side normally has more oil to control the compression and rebound. The spring side just uses the oil for lubrication.

There are two colours because they are different viscosities, one is a heavier weight than the other. You don't need to use Fox fluid, but they normally supply one oil in smaller quants. Motul oil is supposed to be very good....that is what I use in my BOS forks.

Thanks for the info....idiot question how do I know which is the damper side? :facepalm:

The side with any rebound or compression controls. I think it's the right hand side (it is on my Devilles and my 36's).

Mindmap3":gl663jnb said:
The side with any rebound or compression controls. I think it's the right hand side (it is on my Devilles and my 36's).

Cool makes sense I guess! Thanks

No worries mate. Good luck.

It's not rocket science, just do it in a clean well lit area and lay the bits out as you take them apart and it's hard to go wrong.

Back