First post..first question....not a very "bright"

Sprunghub

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I'm new....have '0' experience with pedal cycles...albeit a bit with old motorbikes & am currently 'trying' to get a semi-derelict 1995 Pine Mountain 'up-together'.....& I would be grateful for some advice.

All in all, she's worth every penny of the £36 she cost :roll: .....I'm greatly indebted to Spibblo for a set of excellent Rockstar forks to help her 'go' & I had hoped that this morning she would....but I have come across a new 'gremlin' & I need some technical advice.

The gear/brake set up is Shimano XT Deore. I'm not sure if that is right for the bike /year - I think not....but, I'm not about rivet counting at the moment because the bike is for my lad & I want to get him on the road before he get's the huff with the fact that Dad didn't buy him a shiny new one like all his mates have.

All in all, the gears appear fine, but I think I :cry: :oops: am responsible for the fact that the fixing point for the front gear 'shifter' cable on the 'mover' arm by the crank has "cracked". Due to the crack the fastener won't "bite" so I can't get the front derallieur ( must work out how to spell that !) set to work.

It's an FD - M737......& there are a few on Ebay for no money, but, the post is 28.6mm & the ones I can see listed all have 30mm + brackets.

There are quite a few 'other' model Shimano 'bottom pull' deralleuers (?) for x3 ring cranks......my question is, will - if it is set up correctly - & I don't bu**er up the fixing point.....A.N.Other Shimano Deore 28.6 clamp model front 'shifter' work with what I have ?

Also......if any one out there has a 1995 Pine Mountain.....what diameter seat post is correct for the bike ? No seat /post came with the bike, I now have a saddle, & have been leant a 27.2 post, but I can't get it to work in. I've tried with the 27.2 off my Dawes Sardar (because I don't want to mess up my mates) & it gives up at about 2" of insert in, ie. around where the clamp gap starts to lose influence, so I'm wondering if it is 26.8 or 27mm, rather than the more common 27.2 ?

Probably very stupid question's, but to be honest, I haven't a clue....

26.8 mm rings a bell for marins of that age, but I would probably wait for a confirmation on that. As for the front derailleur yes any of suitable size and direction of pull should work. Failing that you can get shims to adapt from the larger band sizes down to 28.6mm.

I dont quite understand the damage you think you have done, a picture may help.

Welcome to the site, and your son should be very pleased with a pine mountain. An XT equipped bike is nothing to be sniffed at!

Sorry - not very well explained....it is 'scuppered'....I'm sure of it......the point of the 'crack' is the 'tapped' "hole" where the Allen screw - with the recessed washer - holds the cable to the cast alloy actuating arm. They were working, so I'm sure it is my ham-fisted bodgery that has done it.

It hasn't broken off, as such, just cracked. I can tighten it up in a clockwise direction to a fair degree of torque, but as soon as I 'use' the shifter, the anti-clockwise torque on the fastening slacks it off & it all goes to 'rats' so it wont grip the cable. There isn't enough clearance to put a headed bolt through from the other side because it would interfere with the mechanism. I've just found a 'correct' one in the States....but it's darned expensive inc. of post....& no guarantee it's not 'weak' there either.

Shimming sounds viable, so thanks for that....or I may go with the earliest option one I can find in the right size. Could do with one with a "better" design of cable grip :roll:

Marin Bear Valley SE 1995 is a 27.0 seatpost.

That's all I know.

(well 15yrs ago when I looked it was that size, could have shrank since then and changed it's number)

Sprunghub":12nqygxt said:
Shimming sounds viable, so thanks for that....or I may go with the earliest option one I can find in the right size. Could do with one with a "better" design of cable grip :roll:

haha! There is nothing wrong with the design, the M737 groupset is one of the nicest XT group sets made in my opinion!

Good luck getting it sorted though!

Hi Sprunghub & welcome to the site :)

If you want i have an XT M739 top pull 28.6 front mech that i only want £12 posted for ;)

It's a bit later than your M737 but is in perfect working order.

as for the seat post it sounds like you need a 27.0mm.
Look in the "for Sale" section there are a few on there at the moment or Ebay.

PM me about the front mech if your interested

Hi Springhub.

I take it you won this bike:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/marin-mountian-bi ... 500wt_1156

I was watching that myself for spares for my current 1995 Pine Mountain. But it finished at a bad time for me so well done for getting a bargain.

I checked my seat post and it states 27.0mm diameter.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm not sure how much of it is/was "original" to be of benefit to a 1995 bike with the 'right' bits !....not much at a guess.

Arguably - apart from the frame, the only bits which are, are the forged White Industries cranks.

Be ready to ride tomorrow, all being well

Latest posts

Back