Firefox v3.5 is now out

neilll":1ieyb9gr said:
Not only will it give you anonymous browising but you can run Firefox directly off the Ironkey itself leaving no trace whatsoever on your PC (it will also run lots of other applications...again, leaving no trace on the PC). I am using one right now :cool: . If someone finds my Ironkey I don't care, the entire ironkey is hardware encrypted, if someone tries to access it the Ironkey will literally self destruct (I kid you not).

Anonymous browsing is a very big promise to make, and assumes a lot. Your PC may not be secure, and it's possible their end isn't secure either.
Not that I'm saying these things are the case, of course, but you can't make unequivocal promises like that.

One of my jobs is running all the IT for my family's business. We have a lot of sensitive data, and the way I have made it secure is by ensuring that the computer with this data on isn't connected to the internet. Non-connection is the only way to make a guarantee of security.

Incidentally, Neill, have you tried Puppy Linux? You can run the whole OS from a USB key, which could be write protected at the hardware level. That is as secure as a PC can get on the Internet; even if something malicious did get a grip, reboot and you're back to where you started. ;)

Of course, even that's not secure, but then you're entering the realms of tinfoil hats, and it starts to get silly. :p

Post me a memory stick, and I'll set it up for you if you want to get started easily.

It is a very good product, it works very well and is pitched firmly in the IT security market, I'm suggesting it here cos its the closest you will get to anonymity on the internet and their security is second to none, if you have doubts though then I suggest you don't use it until you're convinced. It's worth reading all the info on their site if you have time.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

neilll":2b2x99w2 said:
It is a very good product, it works very well and is pitched firmly in the IT security market, I'm suggesting it here cos its the closest you will get to anonymity on the internet and their security is second to none, if you have doubts though then I suggest you don't use it until you're convinced. It's worth reading all the info on their site if you have time.

Sorry - didn't mean to throw stones at your view. No offence meant! :cool:
FWIW I think it is a good product, like you say as good as you can get, but all I'm trying to say is that the state of the art is limited, and that a company that guaruantees security online is promising a lot.

chris667":3u3s2nyx said:
Sorry - didn't mean to throw stones at your view. No offence meant! :cool:

None taken....I try not to offer opinions on techie stuff, even though i've been in the business for decades...too many opinions normally confuses things :LOL:

As for Puppy Linux, the Ironkey can run VMware ;) Run what you like then, the PC is only getting parasited for its resources by the Ironkey :cool:

Seriously it IS good...I paid £200 for an 8gb version (includes subscription) their Secure Sessions is very impressive (based on ToR), the encryption is Mil Spec and the thing itself is very robust and waterproof (watch the industrial washing machine test on You Tube ;) )

It's definitely interesting. If I ever find £200 burning a hole in my pocket, I might get one for a play.

I don't do anything interesting on the internet unless you the current wave of cyber criminals are really, really interested in pre-1995 Raleighs. ;)

But seriously, do have a look at Puppy if you're interested in computers. I think it's a really fascinating project, and idea of it on read only flash memory has lots of potential to do cool things.

P20":2vc5liz0 said:
A luddite here, still running exploder :?

Me too. Go on then. Firefox, sell it to me. Going on from what Dr S said, do you merely have to mutter Russian under your breath and the PC will do whatever you just said?

Firefox is open source, mostly based on what used to be Netscape Navigator.
The arguments for are mostly rubbish, but give it a go and see if you like it. It won't cost you anything.

Latest posts

Back