Finally! (Kona Explosif content)

silver XTR or red CK headset?

• silver XTR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • red CK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Right on, hoping for red votes! Without influencing the polls too much ;) I actually agree about the crank rings, BUT the outer middleburn is brand new and the red granny is on the way from CRC, so I'll just have to wear them out first and then switch to black perhaps. Will be riding this baby sunday. None of my bikes are on the wall for long :D

Nice, and I'm no kona fanboy.

The downtube sticker is ace, whats the story there?

Red headset to 'balance' the red at the back. Probably stick with a black post also. Have you considered a short stem with a bit of rise rather than a flat stem up near the limit? Might look cleaner.

John":1d8ud3jm said:
Nice, and I'm no kona fanboy.

No, I know you aren't! :LOL:

The DT decals are a result of it being a "German" Kona (sehr gut, ja?). They have a generic brand called Koga, and didn't like that the Kona name was so similar, so Kona's in Germany and Holland (I believe) were called K mountain bikes. Funny they used the American flag, as Kona was still 100% Vancouver based at the time.

Damn, just ordered a silver Thomson. The ti one is borrowed from my King Kahuna. I asked my friends opinion and he said silver, so I went for it. No biggy, can always change if I don't like it. As for the stem, I wanted to get a quill adaptor so I could use a shorter stem with rise, but my bike shop friends nixed that idea and pulled out that old Kona 1 1/8" 90mm quill that came off a 90's Humu cruiser. The height isn't "final" yet, so I may slide it down a touch, but it actually rides very well and is a very comfy fit, so we'll see. I agree it isn't beautiful, but at least unusual to have such a short quill. I'm now thinking black seatpost and crank rings with red headset. Hmmmm.....

Thanks John, all suggestions will be allowed to steep for a while, and am grateful for all of them. :D

Keep the headset and loose the red chainset...I'm sorry if that upsets people :twisted:

The stem and bar combo has a London fixie look about it, not quite my taste on a mtb, as John says try a stem with rise and some flat bars....you can get some seriously wide flat bars these days if thats's what you like.

jango":2gksz7eh said:
Keep the headset and loose the red chainset...I'm sorry if that upsets people :twisted:

The stem and bar combo has a London fixie look about it, not quite my taste on a mtb, as John says try a stem with rise and some flat bars....you can get some seriously wide flat bars these days if thats's what you like.

The problem is, where do I get a short quill stem with rise? This is the first I've seen under 120mm. Chainset wil probably turn black with time, in which case a red headset will look nice. It's not width I like, but rise, as I don't use barends. So the leverage is nice on climbs. All my bikes are riders, so I will choose functionality and strength over looks and weight every time, though I always try to have my cake and eat it too. :D

If anyone knows of a short quill with rise, please let me know what to look for on evil bay. Until then it's this or the adaptor I guess.

My personal choice would be silver...and the crankset too I'm afraid...red and black is just too Peter Stringfellow :LOL:
Of course...that's just my humble

If anyone knows of a short quill with rise, please let me know what to look for on evil bay.

pretty sure I've got something around here that'd fit that description if you wanna try it......pm me, it's yours for beer money plus postage :)

Harryburgundy":1f153u2n said:
My personal choice would be silver...and the crankset too I'm afraid...red and black is just too Peter Stringfellow :LOL:
Of course...that's just my humble

Carl, at the risk of sounding ignorant, who is Peter Stringfellow? :)

Back