Fillet brazed 531 goodness by T J Quick

Re: Re:

cyclotoine":16fo1286 said:
What a beauty! It looks like the top tube is quite "radically" sloping for a machine that age. It's going to look great, why not go for xt m730/732. Frame seems deserving of it, I know it will be expensive and time consuming to put together though.

I carefully point out from an educational point of view that The Brits have been building sloping top tube frames since at least early 1986

A bit of history here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=288816&p=2163175&hilit=overburys#p2163175

scan0007-1.jpg

raidan73":18gt27wp said:
Yes Carl - 230 Stanstead Road, Forest Hill.

I'm sure I read somewhere the story about Holdsworth too.

It was My father that remembered the Holdsworth connection, would be nice if it was, and to hear more. It even has him intrigued.

sinnerman":149gbagb said:
I think Neil from Condor Might also have done his apprentieceship with TJQuick.

Does the Badge Say Forest Hill...? I cant see it, if so, Tom Quick was based in south London with a small shop (no longer trading), building a lot of track and road bikes..? If so a great reputation and following in certain circles.

Its all I can come up with im afraid.. :oops:

Despite not perhaps being as well known as Roberts I see no reason why the quality wont be on par.

Great find.. :cool:

Indeed Neil from Condor did work for T J Quick http://roadcyclinguk.com/other/bespoked ... ycles.html

sinnerman":10lro820 said:
Just a thought, I wonder if it is the same Tom Quick that was responsible for handbuilding the Holdsworth Strada frames in the early 70s.............?

If so, and memory serves me right, he built his first frame on his own in a shed and took along to be checked and they gave him a job, and the rest as they say is history...

Although I would love to hear more, he would be pushing what 90ish now, and there must be a hell of a story there...?

Says here that he used to build for Holdsworth https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/236004/ and in this thread viewtopic.php?t=206881 his brother in law talks about it too. I had a reply from 'markbee' but everything has since gone quiet...

raidan73":27rbgpas said:
sinnerman":27rbgpas said:
Just a thought, I wonder if it is the same Tom Quick that was responsible for handbuilding the Holdsworth Strada frames in the early 70s.............?

If so, and memory serves me right, he built his first frame on his own in a shed and took along to be checked and they gave him a job, and the rest as they say is history...

Although I would love to hear more, he would be pushing what 90ish now, and there must be a hell of a story there...?

Says here that he used to build for Holdsworth https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/236004/ and in this thread viewtopic.php?t=206881 his brother in law talks about it too. I had a reply from 'markbee' but everything has since gone quiet...

WoW, was that road bike only £450. :shock: That seems like A LOt of bike to me.. :shock:

Theres a lot of of good info there... :cool: It might not be a bad idea to add all the links to the british steel thread, :cool:

Everything ive come up with only mentions road too, very little mention of anything other, id love to know more.

Re:

Threw a few bits at it this afternoon just for an idea of what it might look like. You can see the small bulge at the back of the seatpost clamp in the last two pics.

Re:

Received a reply from Mark (Tom J Quick's brother in law) today. Tom's old order book revealed who the bike was built for but unfortunately didn't give away the year. Mark's son has a T J Quick with a serial number 00327 which was built in 1989 so my 00374 is going to be at least that.

Here's a couple of other T J Quicks that Mark sent pics of, including a tandem now residing in Tasmania

Attachments

• untitled - Copy.png
    untitled - Copy.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • untitled1.png
    untitled1.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • untitled2.png
    untitled2.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,067
Re:

No real progress to report but Mark (Tom's brother in law) has been busy and has kindly sent me some more pics and an amusing little article here http://www.independent.co.uk/money/buil ... 53096.html

This is Mark's son on his 89/90 TJ Quick followed by a lovely shot of the complete bike and then a couple more. The last one shows his bike in great British company; an Overbury's Pioneer and, what looks like to me, a Tushingham B52

Re:

Great stuff!

That article is from 1993! Must have been uploaded more recently. Goes some way to explaining why there are so few TJQ mtbs ;-)

Back