Fat Chance Kickstarter

Re:

The looks could be much improved if they made the fork tapered, something like Niner did on the ROS 9 Plus. And maybe use a 44mm headtube.

As for the rest of it, I'm in the 'What did you expect?' crowd. It's a modern steel frame made to take modern stuff, like all the other modern steel frames that are made to take modern stuff. It was never going to be groundbreaking.

It didn't have to be ground breaking, it just needed to appear to be considered.

A Salt and pepper shaker style head tube, some badly fitting forks, some tacky badly placed cable guides and some crappy decals is not the first images I had hoped for.

There is room for improvement, I live in hope.

@ "the what did you expect Crowd"....,

...........IT certainly has no need to look Generic, given the Cost, and nor is..... its Modern to fit Modern Components an Excuse either, (see previous Examples already shown of how it could be done, and has been done).

It doesnt take a lot for a frame to compete or standalone. It doesnt have to be Benchmark, simply considered.

Im actually more surprised someone who is better informed than me hasn't actually said..........."I TOLD YOU SO". And for this I thank you.

sinnerman":yjeqcysc said:
@ "the what did you expect Crowd"....,

...........IT certainly has no need to look Generic, given the Cost, and nor is..... its Modern to fit Modern Components an Excuse either, (see previous Examples already shown of how it could be done, and has been done).

It doesnt take a lot for a frame to compete or standalone. It doesnt have to be Benchmark, simply considered.

Actually, you are 100% right about this. They only needed to look at what's already out there and have a think - like a tapered steel fork for a tapered headtube, it's not as if it's never been done before.

Retrotecs aren't my cup of tea but you can see that the guy cares about what he's putting out.

Re:

Sorry Sinnerman, it wasn't a personal dig before it's just you're the only person I know that put their money where their mouth is so that's why I named you. It's a difficult one really as I guess for the money you have the right to expect something special. To me, looking with eyes that will not be buying it looks like a modern Yo. Maybe I'm just worn down with how hideous modern bikes can be.

If I had the money spare would I buy one? Probably not at that price but I'd want to try one before ruling it out.

hirosawa":1ujedx2u said:
- like a tapered steel fork for a tapered headtube, it's not as if it's never been done before.

If he'd done that wouldn't it have run the risk of people complaining the fork didn't look like the old one? Granted though, 1 1/8th forks in oversized or tapered headsets rarely looks good.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3r57qnu6 said:
Sorry Sinnerman, it wasn't a personal dig before it's just you're the only person I know that put their money where their mouth is so that's why I named you. It's a difficult one really as I guess for the money you have the right to expect something special. To me, looking with eyes that will not be buying it looks like a modern Yo. Maybe I'm just worn down with how hideous modern bikes can be.

If I had the money spare would I buy one? Probably not at that price but I'd want to try one before ruling it out.

Mate its no Probs, im a laughing stock I know, but I really did think given the market as it is today, there was a real chance here for something very cool to happen, a resurgence in the love for steel on a bigger level.........this could have been the the horse that Bolted the stable for others to follow....(4 consumers to sit up and take note...Steel is real and its here)

It is Big Bucks, a Modern Yo has the potential to be......................?

But so far it is falling far short...., I appreciate there is only so much that can be done, but he could have thought a little outside the box.....No one is asking him to re-invent the wheel.

I shall say no more, and just cross everything.

brocklanders023":290v37l7 said:
hirosawa":290v37l7 said:
- like a tapered steel fork for a tapered headtube, it's not as if it's never been done before.

If he'd done that wouldn't it have run the risk of people complaining the fork didn't look like the old one? Granted though, 1 1/8th forks in oversized or tapered headsets rarely looks good.

I guess. It's a rock and a hard place. The frame doesn't look like the old one, so why should the fork? And if you're going to make the fork look just like the old one, why not make the frame look just like the old one? And if you made the frame like the old one, people would complain that it wasn't for current standards. You said it yourself - you can't buy a decent sus fork that isn't tapered anymore.

What Sinnerman is saying makes sense to me. Make it current but make it elegant.

Re:

It's growing on me :LOL: Don't mind the cable guide position but it defo needs beefier gauge fork tubes and crown to stay in proportion, then loose the front facing gussets. I bet it will ride the twisties like a dream :cool:

Back