Fast hybrid opinions ?

Road bike has been used once since I bought it. I had the same issue. Road bike too delicate but lots of Tarmac linking bridleways and really nice gentle stuff.

da2d2e6a6ac37fb06072bcf2bf92e851_zps6c63c0be.jpg

The History Man":1rjkt4iu said:
Road bike too delicate.
That's probably just in your mind...... especially as 99% of load bearing CX components are road components anyway.

Generally its only the tubes and tyre's that aren't actually road bits. And you can get heavier/larger/more durable road tyres anyway.
Even the frame is essentially a road frame with some more clearance. Many even use the same tubesets/lugs.

Unless you are using bits that are even considered fragile by road riders (Some low spoke count wheels for example) a road bike will be a whole lot more durable and less delicate than you think.

(Traction can sometimes be an issue though!)

It's not in his mind. Being a big chap doesn't help, but spindly 23C wheels aren't a good choice on a commuter. I've had my rear wheel rebuilt with tandem spokes to try and survive my weight, the weight of my work gear on the carrier (and I travel as light as I possibly can)and the dreadful country roads her in Westshire.

While it does the job and is a few minutes quicker each way than a slick shod MTB I wish I'd gone for a light/fast hybrid with 32C wheels with a better choice of all weather tyres and a greater air volume, the more upright riding position for better breathing and traffic vision, more robust wheelset, marginally better wet weather braking. I see a few other commuters on then, an one bloke in particular doesn't hang about.

I mean, would you rather drive a Golf GTi for work, or a razor sharp stripped out track car? Both do the job, but despite being a gnats slower one is otherwise so much more use friendly than then other. Maybe it's age, but my next bike might well be a Sirrus. Indeed, if Indidnt quite have so far to go I'd have a Trek Soho.

Couldn't agree more.. I have to say though that my brother has and uses daily a Boardman Team Carbon thingy, and aside from changing the tyres because they wore out; it's had no mechanical maladies or breakages despite being crashed through potholes and ridden up kerb edges etc. Not fragile, but personally I hate the damn thing for positioning (even he never finds it comfortable) and it would be no use off-road - even gravel paths - wearing 23C slicks..

I do find it very, very odd that people choose (or are just ignorant enough to belive the hype?) to 'commute' to work on the equivalent of driving in a full 3-layer Nomex race suit, with full-face aero F1 helmet in a Lotus Exige on trackday slicks. Or a Maserati MC12 Corse (if they ride a Pinarello...)

Racing bikes work for racing, and not a lot else... Relatively poor brakes (i.e stopping distances), poor visibility, lack of comfort, and a drastic lack of understanding of basic physics by the owners..

1) The bikes 'aerodynamic properties' really count for very little when ridden by a fat man with a coat and a backpack.
2) Cheap bikes mean cheap components, or stronger wheels come with added weight. Get 26" ones.
MTB or hybrid frames will give good clearance off-road in case of mud on paths, discs will perform better (largely) than side-pull calipers.
3) You can't see over cars if your nose is on your front wheel. The road isn't closed; there's no rolling roadblock, and the car most likely to kill you will come from the side or the back. Get your head up.
4) If you're lucky you can get up above 30 mph; but traffic probably prevents this if you have to ride roads in town - see point 1, whatever Rui Costa advertises..
5) CX bikes have a 'range' of tyres, MTB/26" bikes have far, far more. Schwalbe Sammy Slicks make a good example for commuter/gravel bike cross-use.
6) Speccing your own bike and building a light, fast commuter is both easy and cheap - as nobody wants 26" parts anymore, especially 8 or 9 Sp - and because downhillers 'need' 4-pot brakes, they are all buying Hopes and selling unused good disc brakes.

I could go on, but I won't.

I think both of you have a very odd view of what a road bike should be. The stripped out race car is at one end of a very very very wide spectrum. There are lots of other things out there to try. There are even Volvo Estate road bikes.

And if your brother is uncomfortable on his road bike, it's either the wrong size, or set up badly. (or he has some bizarre morphological issue that needs fixing/accounting for.

mattr":3uk7gtbr said:
The History Man":3uk7gtbr said:
Road bike too delicate.
That's probably just in your mind...... especially as 99% of load bearing CX components are road components anyway.

Generally its only the tubes and tyre's that aren't actually road bits. And you can get heavier/larger/more durable road tyres anyway.
Even the frame is essentially a road frame with some more clearance. Many even use the same tubesets/lugs.

Unless you are using bits that are even considered fragile by road riders (Some low spoke count wheels for example) a road bike will be a whole lot more durable and less delicate than you think.

(Traction can sometimes be an issue though!)

Tell it to the old set of gipiemme wheels that i trashed in three rides on my schils. Now running cxps The added rubber and more robust rims on the Jake do make a difference. Both are comfortable to ride as i altered them to my riding position. If I was going for a hybrid I wouldn't I'd run a slick tyred mtb as I did before the CX. Still got the schwalbe city jet 1.9 tyres.

But back to thread.

Re:

At the weekend i rode my road bike along a 15 mile route which i use as a time trial section, then had a breather then rode my Saracen with Schwalbe City Jets and the MTB just felt more comfortable, not so hunched, easier to use brakes, and with the bar ends there are options for different riding position.

And the roads are pretty bad with potholes, gravel etc.

I just dont feel as confident :(

Anyone riden a Sirrus ?

Re:

I'm in the process of going down a similar route - My Mountain bike seems overkil for the 15 minute daily commute (especially as I only use two gears!) and the drivetrain/brake wear is costly on a decent MTB.

I've procured a nice road bike frameset from here and used a set of cyclocross wheels with 32 width tyres (the Giant frames just about squeeze them in)and fitted mtb riser bars and deore rapid fire shifters (plus bar ends!)

Feels very rapid and stable, best of both worlds - obviously won't be offroading, but its robust enough to take on urban shortcuts, and best of all you can fit proper mudguards: no more soggy ass! (from cycling anyway!)

Re: Re:

scottyp":3phpfg2z said:
I'm in the process of going down a similar route - My Mountain bike seems overkil for the 15 minute daily commute (especially as I only use two gears!) and the drivetrain/brake wear is costly on a decent MTB.

I've procured a nice road bike frameset from here and used a set of cyclocross wheels with 32 width tyres (the Giant frames just about squeeze them in)and fitted mtb riser bars and deore rapid fire shifters (plus bar ends!)

Feels very rapid and stable, best of both worlds - obviously won't be offroading, but its robust enough to take on urban shortcuts, and best of all you can fit proper mudguards: no more soggy ass! (from cycling anyway!)

Got any pictures ?

Back