FALCON - PMS 753

Re:

Stripped and ready to clean up. Such a shame the race number hanger lug has broken off :-(

Attachments

• falcon10.jpg
    falcon10.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • resizedfalcon22.jpg
    resizedfalcon22.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,110
Re:

A couple more photos,Frame cleaned up, looks much better. I have refurbished the wheels it came with, they are straight as can be, Rigida Ultimate power with Miche Team Hubs. Dont know much about these wheels but they run great, I wouldn`t have thought they were pro quality so a later addition, new continental gatorskin tyres , not my choice but they came on another bike I bought recently and have never seen tarmac. I regreased and adjusted the BB and headset. Bought a new ITM stem 110mm , a seller had a batch of them cheap on ebay for about £15 a piece. All the Dura Ace kit is being polished up, its slow progress as I dont have much free time at the moment. Need to find a 26.8 Dura Ace seat post, the carbon effect thing on there at the moment is a Tioga but it will do for now.

Attachments

• falconpms900.jpg
    falconpms900.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • falconpms901.jpg
    falconpms901.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,058
originalshinkicker":3lmpxn28 said:
I wouldn't have expected a late 80s 753 frame to use a 26.8mm seat pin

I have read lots of varying opinions about 753 seat tube size, some good discussions regarding this also on this forum. I don`t have the expertise to say if it is unusual but there do seem to be examples of early 26.8 seat post 753`s discussed . Mine definately is 26.8 , maybe there was some technical reason for Falcon to use this, maybe it varied with frame size or they simply got one batch of tubing that size as they seem only to have built with 753 for team use ( unless anyone knows different ).

If it is Metric tubed 753 then 26.8 is an option, as the heavier 0.7/0.4 gauge metric tube would use that size. The lighter 0.7/0.3 metric 753 used 27.0

If it is Imperial tubed 753 then 26.8 would mean a very thick seat tube. Imperial 753 would typically be 27.2 for a 0.7/0.5 gauge seat tube or 27.4 for a 0.7/0.4 gauge.

originalshinkicker":1srgdo59 said:
If it is Metric tubed 753 then 26.8 is an option, as the heavier 0.7/0.4 gauge metric tube would use that size. The lighter 0.7/0.3 metric 753 used 27.0

If it is Imperial tubed 753 then 26.8 would mean a very thick seat tube. Imperial 753 would typically be 27.2 for a 0.7/0.5 gauge seat tube or 27.4 for a 0.7/0.4 gauge.

Doh... You`re right , it IS 27.0 seat tube. Just bought a nice 26.8 seat post without checking properly and it`s too small . oh why didnt I read your message properly...Thanks for the expert info.

Re: Possibly identified

So I bought some old copies of `Cycling` from 1989 and I have to say I reckon there is a good chance my bike is the one being ridden in the photo by PMS rider Keith Reynolds ? . The frame size appears to be the same and there is a slight split on the Falcon head badge sticker on my bike identical to the one on the photo. I originally started this post having no knowledge of PMS Falcon but have since found dozens of good photos to help me along with this project. I have stripped, cleaned, polished , fitted new brake and gear cables, new bar tape which I did exactly as the photo. All parts are original apart from the brake levers , stem , pedals and saddle. I foolishly sold the original Dura Ace 7402 brake levers before I had any clue what I was dealing with :-( so have substituted them for the same period 105 which look virtually identical. I am trying to source 2 x NOS Michelin tyres but the continentals I have put on look good in the meantime. It`s just a shame the race number hanger snapped off. Hoping to road test this weekend and see what else needs tweeking.

Attachments

• pmskr1.jpg
    pmskr1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 889
  • pms753.3.jpg
    pms753.3.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 887
Re:

Managed to track down 2 x NOS Michelin Hi-Lite super comp 700 x 20c tyres as used by PMS Falcon. The team were co sponsored by Michelin and the team were used to promote the tyres in the cycling press adverts. I also emailed Keith Lambert at his shop in Bingley a couple of weeks ago to ask about the bike as he ran the team in 1989 but have not had any response :-(

Attachments

• MichelinPMS1.jpg
    MichelinPMS1.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 813
  • MichelinPMS2.jpg
    MichelinPMS2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 813
Back