Fake Chinese bike parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone get the Ingrid mech?? I’m really mixed about this… asking the seller, they are a 1:1 copy and genuine Ingrid spares fit…

I’ve plenty of Chinese titanium fixings - they are light and haven’t broken! There was a YouTube showing comparisons between random AliExpress bolts, rated steel and rated titanium and the Chinese surprisingly were stronger than the rated bolts!

I’d swerve handlebars, MTB wheels and anything where failure will result in loss of teeth! But I’ve a carbon selle sadldle clone and post which are bonkers light and have survived a lot of abuse!

I saw an advert for Bjorn Cycles parts on ali, but browsed past accidentally. I now can't find them......anyone help?

Isn't there a seller here selling what is effectively fake rare mtb parts- Ringle, Syncros etc, but German made.
At expensive prices i might add. Not saying they arent worth it, but im not sure theres that great a difference between fake German parts, and fake Chinese parts :confused:

On one level fake parts are fake parts. But obviously no guarantees re: quality, fit for purpose regardless of who fakes them. Not that the originals were always fit for purpose either.

I think there is a difference between producing small runs of boutique parts in your own workshop that are no longer available v producing them at scale in a factory when they are still available from the original small scale manufacturer from an ethical perspective.

Chinese engineering is up there with the best (cf apple, and any number of other western brands who get their stuff made there without issue). But the incentives need to be aligned and quality control measures in place. Fake parts mean neither is true.

Last edited:
We had a customer whose "bianchi" forks folded on him. He was outraged and keen on pursuing a claim - however it turned out hr bought them (nib) on ebay for £200, should have been 400 - and when i spoke to bianchi they said they didn't offer that fork in that finish aftermarket.
Internal inspection showed it up fake also.

So here the fakers have got a good price for a $40 fork.

Seen dangerous failure with fake ec90 bars

Buying fake stuff cheap is helping get this stuff out there in the hands of the gullible or vulnerable.

It's like stolen bikes.
Is still not ok even if it's cheap.
Don't buy off these people.

You're giving money to crooks.
And introducing fakes into the classic scene.

We had a customer whose "bianchi" forks folded on him. He was outraged and keen on pursuing a claim - however it turned out hr bought them (nib) on ebay for £200, should have been 400 - and when i spoke to bianchi they said they didn't offer that fork in that finish aftermarket.

Buying fake stuff cheap is helping get this stuff out there in the hands of the gullible or vulnerable.

It's like stolen bikes.

They've got a good price for a worthless fork. I wouldn't expect a $40 fork to fold on me.

It's like stolen bikes.

Its not like buying a stolen bike though is it?

Its not like buying a stolen bike though is it?
It's still theft, and someone has lost out by having their product devalued by replication and either lost the sale, or not been rewarded for the design effort they have put in. Fake/counterfeit goods are a major problem and in some cases have links to organised crime and money laundering etc. And of course it's simply fraudulent to sell a product to someone who takes it at face value that it is what it says it is. It's illegal to sell a car with a knowingly incorrect mileage because it's adding value to a car that shouldn't be that value, thus 'stealing' the extra money from the purchaser. This stuff is no different. That said, the majority of the Chinese fakery is simply because they don't respect IP, rather than necessarily trying to launder money or generally be part of a wider piece of OC.

It's still theft, and someone has lost out by having their product devalued by replication and either lost the sale, or not been rewarded for the design effort they have put in. Fake/counterfeit goods are a major problem and in some cases have links to organised crime and money laundering etc. And of course it's simply fraudulent to sell a product to someone who takes it at face value that it is what it says it is. It's illegal to sell a car with a knowingly incorrect mileage because it's adding value to a car that shouldn't be that value, thus 'stealing' the extra money from the purchaser. This stuff is no different. That said, the majority of the Chinese fakery is simply because they don't respect IP, rather than necessarily trying to launder money or generally be part of a wider piece of OC.
That is some very bold claims, I'm sure you can back this up?

IP infringement isn't theft, it doesn't deprive someone of their property, either intellectual or physical.

Also saying Chinese (as in a billion people) as being all the same is racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back