Facebook Virus Warning!

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A quick warning to all retro bikers regarding facebook :evil:

Just had my laptop turned to mince by opening an attachment sent to me by a pal on said social networking site. Looks like his site had been hacked into as he knew nothing about the email.

Basically, I got an email saying he'd sent me a pm. Thought it was a little strange as when I went to my FB inbox the email didn't contain anything other then a link. Being an idiot I opened it as I thought it'd be some joke or funny clip and TA-DAH!!!! Buggered 'puter. :evil:

It downloaded some program that says it's scanning your pc for virus's. Tells you you've got loads then says you have to pay to get rid of 'em (Scan's free, buy or product to resolve :evil: ). When you tell it to 'do one' it will not take no for an answer. Tried to remove the program but it wont let you. It then spreads through your pc untill everytime you try to go anywhere on it you get a message saying trojan/worm/virus etc found. Click to cancel and you get a dead screen.

Ace. :evil:

Anyway, it was on my work computer and I've just spoken to IT who knew exactly what had happened as they've got loads of infected machines coming in. Seems wide spread so be very cautious when opening any attachments. Just hope they can save the data on my computer as a lot of it will be almost impossible to get back (and I'd got Leeds to the top of the prem on football manager ;) ).

Hope no one else gets stung as it's caused me a massive pain in the ar*e. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Got a similar message from an old mate. Fortunately I know him well enough to know he wasn't likely to ask me to look at 'naughty' pictures of himself. Yuchhh.

Switch to Linux

My mate defo wasn't offering to show me his man parts! :shock: :shock: :oops:

Didn't really give it much thought until it was too late as my chums often send me jokes. :cry:

Cheers for that Huntso but can't even get to that point on the computer. As soon as it starts up the messages start and do not go away. Talked to IT and they said that it's probably dead going from the others they've recently had in. :cry:

You need to copy that program to a flash drive from another machine and then load it onto the infected pc

The messages don't stop, but you should still be able to load and run this trojan hunter if you rename it to .com instead of .exe

Got on my daughters netbook, but shifted it with malwarebytes, found nine infected files and deleted them, all ok now

Cheers for that mate. My brain is too small to try and fix a bust 'puter so it's off back to the IT dep but good advice for someone braver then me. ;)

Good luck getting it sorted, all your data should be intact. Its not actually a virus and is just a con to get money and CC details

Perhaps it was the shock of Leeds being top of anything :D

Back