ex worldcup bike: Peugeot Team

Nice find. In 1990, the UK peugoet team were riding something simillar for the domestic series. Here's Fred Salmon in action:

And from the same MTB Action VHS, Tim Gould giving a tutorial on bike skills:

Apparently these bikes were custom made by Peugeot for the UK team, but still used standard tubes and drop outs (hence the mudguard & rack eyes); and although they proved a bit heavy for the international championships, they were campaigned in the UK MBC National series.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! I'm trying to get as much info on this bike as possible.

When I picked up this bike, Jim and I got to talking about the old days. Great story's about how he suddenly got a flat at the starting grit of a world cup race, and Mike Kluge said to his mechanic to give Jim a spare wheel. And how Jim fixed Jacquie Phelan's Cunningham before the Grundig Worldcup in Groesbeek. Jacquie came to the Netherlands with her bike dirty, and ragged handlebar tape. Jim said this wasn't the way to advertise her husband's bike brand, so he cleaned her bike and wrapped new handlebar tape on it. Jim is trying to find pictures of back then for me, and I'll see if I can share them with you of course ;)

Martin, ATB magazine was his magazine indeed back in the days. He wrote a story about the Worldcup in Groesbeek, and he's looking for a copy for me. I never new this event almost got cancelled because of environmentalists. The organisation (Leo van Zeeland) had to get some sort of permit only ours before the start...

For everyone who wants to accompany the next Dutch Retrobike ride, I've got a nice surprice. I'm planning to include the '91 Grundig World cup course from Groesbeek in the ride! Jim will help me to determine the exact route. There's probably only one part we have to skip, cause that's private property. But that's only a meadow anyway...

Oh and Bart, I do have to build a bigger shed thanks to you... (for real)

But that's meant in a true thankful way, not in a sinical way!!

ok, a little update on this bike. The Peugeot team switched from campa to shimano in '91. This bike became Jim's training bike, so he fitted XT thumbies to match his new '91 racing bike. I plan to bring it back to full campa eventually, but due to too many projects and not being a millionaire I'll do a budget conversion at first. :D This means I'll be keeping the XT hubbed wheels for now.

First step: bought a set of Centaur thumbies! I know it had bullet shifters, but all my bikes are riders, so going for thumbies instead.

Bringing it back to full Campagnolo glory looks nice and gives the impression it is original, but you personally know it aren't Jim's hubs and the shifters he touched. There is something to say for not doing the current spec much harm. It is how the bike evolved during being in use by Jim. Moreover XT is simply great kit of course :D

Elev12k":2zqtj68s said:
Bringing it back to full Campagnolo glory looks nice and gives the impression it is original, but you personally know it aren't Jim's hubs and the shifters he touched. There is something to say for not doing the current spec much harm. It is how the bike evolved during being in use by Jim. Moreover XT is simply great kit of course :D

I know, but all the stuff that is coming of the bike (exept a very cheap rear mech) is going on other rides...
The XT wheels were on it too when I bought it. THey went on my fat, and are now going back to their former metal friends :LOL:

Other stuff that is coming of is the stem and maybee the headset. I got the original white peugeot team decals that I'll put on the 'new' stem, to make it look like it was from back then but fits my personal geometry....
The parts that come of will be kept in a good place though!

But a very good point Elev!

Back