Elastomer pedals (onza)
Steep geometry
Microdrive
super light cranks
24 inch rear wheel (Cannondale)

And if this thread is still going in 10 years;

29 inch wheels

Biopace/ Sakae Ovaltech.

I've got it, and it makes little difference, except maybe for smoother at-speed changes. I don't think it's used now.

bordercollie1":1omg1cfy said:
Disk wheels
Aero wheels (spinergy etc)
Soft compound tyres
Elastomer pedals (onza)
Steep geometry
Microdrive
super light cranks
24 inch rear wheel (Cannondale)

And if this thread is still going in 10 years;

29 inch wheels

Must say must of that is not an evolutionary dead end.
Aero wheels are still used, a lot of the disk only one's seem to be aero shaped.
Microdrive is certainly not an evolutionary dead end, it was the start of the evolution to smaller front rings.
<now called> ATB -> MicroDrive -> Compact drive -> 4 arm compact drive ... Shimano put many different variations trying to evolve the 4 arm compact but has come back to where the standard 4 arm BCD again.

24" wheels, still good for kids MTB's

Superlight cranks, well they're lighter than they used to be so that cannot be true. Some of the carbon ones are silly.

Steep geometry (think you'll need to define steep ?)

Soft compund tires, I'm sure you can get tripple compund tires, one of thoose compunds has to be soft.

Gripshift are still well used and as an evolution it made a company that swallowed up a fare few other dead end companies.. Especially common in lower end "MTBs" but you can still buy them for higher end. SRAM are just locking out Shimano compatibilty (they still have it but don't trumpet it to the high end) so locking people into sram.
Shimano still make them, Sturmey, etc.. also before anyone say hybrid bikes, well they have more in common with our retro mtb than todays modern <jargon name> bikes.

CNC parts, still plenty of CNC made parts available.
Ano colours.... have you looked in the shops lately still going strong, just had a dorment period where grey/black/white (and now that with a red flash) is dominent. sad sad world.

I don't think there are to many actual evolutionary dead ends, they just evolved into something else.
e-stays I still see these around but in the for of rear suspension, that's just what e-stays evolved into.

What's happend more is the technology has become more diverse with niche uses for everything. Thay have so many different names for bikes now that have to have something... I think MTB itself is defunct. I wouldn't call a down hill specific bike an MTB, it's certainly not an ATB, nor a trials bike (they seem to have more in common with BMX's).

Back in the good old days, you would buy a good bike, ride to the pub, do your paperround, down the roads to the hilly part and ride around the bridleways, pop of to the big hills, hurtle down them and up them, do a few laps of a race then hang around the steets with your mates around the town.
Now I would need a van just to carry the bikes for each patch of terain I need to drive on next.
So the MTB has evolved (or in most people terms here it come to it's evolutionary end)

Back