evolutionary dead ends

cannondale king":2o1ca2fu said:
the worst part ever made really is the meched gear systems when you compare them to some of the modern internal gear hubs that are avalible like say the rolhoff 14 speed hub as its really effective and beyond hard wearing why are we all still using mechs and cassettes with products like this on the market :?: i know the rolhoff is heavy but on a one to one mile for mile test the rolhoff will out last and out perform any derallier gear system but 99% of us (including me) still use the cassette and mech open system :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: feel free to get a dig in if you must

Cost and simplicity?

I agree, internal gears probably are the future.
But how many do you think youll see at the 2012 olympics for example?
At the moment weight it still key.

One day I want to own a Rohloff equipped bike but I still love tinkering with my traditional mechs and getting everything just right, another reason for their popularity, not beyond the limits of the home mechanic...I'd hate to take a Rohloff apart and put it back together!

Do you ever wonder if historians will look back at this century and mock our anceint drive-train systems? I can hear them now, ''And they thought they were an advanced race! PAH!''

No? Just me then... :oops:

Any early canti :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes Yes , i know.....I..don't..like..canti's

Dont forget the m739 cranks ;)

An old Slingshot-the only frame with No downtube and a hinge in the middle! Also, all the various two-wheel drive systems, which usually used a flexible shaft of some kind to drive the front wheel, but inevitably were too heavy and inefficient.

shovelon":203ef6m6 said:
Erm, uhmmm. :roll:
lol I ride proflex

& yeah, they were a dead end.

because k2 made it that way :(

ill never go telescopic over my girvin though

sad to see that that they went the way of a horse with a broken leg.

and that my ride was the first thing that popped into my head when i saw this thread :oops:

& annodized colors, CNC'd parts, CODA parts and handmade/made in america, and klein ( have one of those too ) those were mostly dead ends too

oh, and *for the most part* putting love into a frame, now its more profit margins than push envelope as far as i can tell.

cce":uezupmt1 said:
looking at my WCF diamond back earlier i thought for a moment about all the evolutionary dead ends we've had in the quest for the perfect MTB

then i thought, how about building them all into one bike!

then i realised i couldnt think of that many

probably wont get built, but how would you spec a bike using as many dead ends as possible

my thoughts

Diamond Back WCF frame
AMP or Girvin fork
Gripshifts

suggestions welcome!

AMP forks are an evolutionary dead end? Show me a more "evolved" 2.4 pound fork with 3 inches of travel and no lateral flex.

Oh, I see. Evolutionary dead end means no further evolution is necessary...In that case I agree.

cce":39f5yh84 said:
looking at my WCF diamond back earlier i thought for a moment about all the evolutionary dead ends we've had in the quest for the perfect MTB

then i thought, how about building them all into one bike!

then i realised i couldnt think of that many

probably wont get built, but how would you spec a bike using as many dead ends as possible

my thoughts

Diamond Back WCF frame
AMP or Girvin fork
Gripshifts

suggestions welcome!

AMP forks are an evolutionary dead end? Show me a more "evolved" 2.4 pound fork with 3 inches of travel and no lateral flex.

Oh, I see. Evolutionary dead end means no further evolution is necessary...In that case I agree.

shovelon":3o6gzs45 said:
fingers":3o6gzs45 said:
I think what youre looking for is a proflex...
Erm, uhmmm. :roll:

Lol - struts and links, I was referring to, the old style of suspension, now gone... (nowt wrong with proflex - Id love an 856 in WB size...)

Back