evolutionary dead ends

i was less thinking "stuff that's crap" than "stuff that's a good idea butgot overtaken by technology"

like the WCF frame - proper carbon fibre frames became much more cost-effective than they had been

or the AMP forks - it's much easier to build b ig travel in a telescopic

The Oddesey (sp?) steering damper
Steel rims :evil:
The Fisher 1.25" Evolution headset - raped by the more popular 1.125", and now it seems like 1.5" is creeping in.

has the tyres with the knobbly sides and slickish centres dissapeared yet?

suspension posts

bar ends

'mag' wheels: spengle etc

twist shifters are still on the go, I've just got a set of XO's.

Splatter Paint":3mfkhpbe said:
Thumbshifters (no, they really are pants!)

I love my XT thumbies! how many other bike officianado's are secretely sniggering at me when I proudly ride past them...thumbshifting all the while?

Plus, I just bought a CrudClaw for all its retro throwback cheesyness, when I get round to posting a pic of my build I dont think you should take a look at it, it sounds like your 'anti-bike'

:LOL:

If you mean twist shift like the Campag Bullit shifters...full length grip with a locking switch.

any elastomer based suspension

Nowt wrong with bar ends, though!

toe straps ....ideal for cutting the supply of blood to the feet.

gel saddles...........
italian thread bbs
straight pull spokes.
latex inner tubes.
carbon fibre saddles..?
and green tyres.....just kidding on them.

my thoughts

Diamond Back WCF frame
AMP or Girvin fork
Gripshifts

suggestions welcome!

All sounds good to me......I even toyed with the idea of building such a thing a while back :LOL:

I think the WCF met it's demise due to cost.......they sold more steel and Ally bikes because they were cheaper for the same spec so it was dropped :roll:

the worst part ever made really is the meched gear systems when you compare them to some of the modern internal gear hubs that are avalible like say the rolhoff 14 speed hub as its really effective and beyond hard wearing why are we all still using mechs and cassettes with products like this on the market :?: i know the rolhoff is heavy but on a one to one mile for mile test the rolhoff will out last and out perform any derallier gear system but 99% of us (including me) still use the cassette and mech open system :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: feel free to get a dig in if you must

Back