eBay snipers

Re:

Sniping is when you log into a sniping service using your Ebay username and password, and have their computer put the bid in on your behalf. It saves you having to wait up for things, or getting carried away from putting in too high a bid.

Re:

Sniping as I understand it is in the last couple of seconds. used to use my darkroom clock but now e bay do the countdown on the submit bid page I just use that.A bid at nine seconds to go will put me in the last couple of seconds.At the end of the day if someone bids more then I still wont get it.The important thing is to stay clear of the early bidding that is simply driving the price up.If you are in that and you hit your max then there is pressure to just go that bit higher and it can spiral out of control.As regards selling on e bay I have got rid of loads of bits that I would otherwise have been stuck with. When I retired I sold an entire woodworking machine shops worth of equipment through e bay.Had I tried to sell that lot round here I would have been stuck with whatever a dealer might have seen fit to offer me.Its been a very useful site.

last second bids are ok if your not botherd about the item that much
but ive put a bid in with 3 seconds to go an the page bufferd/stutterd
an so i opened another window an the bid had not gone through

Interesting views. I use a combinations of early bidding and cascading bidding in the last 3 mins.

On the other hand, sometimes it's worth engaging into bidding war very early, so you don't have to wait 5-7 days only to find out that you've lost the item by £1 and then have to go buy a reasonably priced BIN one, that you could have bought right away :).

is it just me that doesn't see the point? just put in a max bid, and be done with it :facepalm:

Hi.
The point is that if you just put your max bid in early on then e bay will simply register that bid at the starter price. I.E. if its a one pound start and you put in ten pounds then the bid will register as only one pound.Next bidder comes along and bids two pounds and is told he is outbid( by your stated max )He will then crawl the bids up a small amount at a time until he tops you at eleven pounds.You have now lost the item by one pound.By bidding at the last moment you stop that happening.Sure if someone bids more than you you will still loose out but you are in with a better chance than if you had simply gone in early ( even up to the last minute or so ). Most times early bidders dont win auctions unless they have bid way over the top to a point that no one else is going to match.A friend of mine who earns part of his living trading on e bay swears that early bidding costs him money and looses him purchases. In sniping you always put in your max but at a point when no one else can do anything about it.

But even if you put in your max at 1 second to go, and someone else has put in a higher max, then they will win... in the end, whoever is prepared to pay the most will win, regardless of when you put in the bid.

Not if they're prepared to pay more but think they're going to win having made a lower initial bid that looks good until the last second.

foz":bs3bo77u said:
But even if you put in your max at 1 second to go, and someone else has put in a higher max, then they will win... in the end, whoever is prepared to pay the most will win, regardless of when you put in the bid.

True but people, maybe not you, will see their bid is just under the Max and then as they can and have to think it over they put in a higher bid than they intended to as it well just a little bit more. Do this throigh the bidders and it spirals up or you hit the bidding war.
Or you win but for some pounds more than you really thought it was worth. It human nature, just one more beer sort of thing.

That is why eBay tries hard to tell you you have lost the high bid and tries its best to make it very easy to bid a bit more.

Back