Early orange Prestige project

Re:

Looking great!
Yours appears to be 36 frames after mine so maybe the guy stamping the numbers had run out of steam by the time he got to yours :LOL:

Re: Re:

DynaCol":vrbmeluw said:
Looking great!
Yours appears to be 36 frames after mine so maybe the guy stamping the numbers had run out of steam by the time he got to yours :LOL:

You must have one the earliest Prestiges around, i cant think of anyone else with one eariler. Looking forward to your build on it also :cool:

Re:

Yeah, fair play - I knew mine was an early one but I'm just pipped by just 36 serial numbers :LOL: I guess there must be a few others out there from that same late 1989 batch somewhere... but I'm guessing not so many have survived.

I'm thinking its likely mine also started out as a DX build, judging by the headset, cranks and surviving rear canti - although I've now definitely decided to rebuild it using appropriate era XT. It's worth it now I've shelled out for repaint, and my parts pile is slowly growing...

I find it Interesting to see the variation in the original decals though.

Dynacols..

Mine, 36 frames later...

Attachments

• frameset-randomdan.JPG
    frameset-randomdan.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 551
  • Frameset-dynacol.jpg
    Frameset-dynacol.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 551
Yes its unsual not having the orange logo by the Prestige decal. But hell Orange, particularly early Orange were always experimenting with decals design, positions, very ad hoc, and limited to no records from 88-92, so i guess its all part of the fun!

Re:

Interesting as the first picture has the traditional ‘Orange’ decal paired to the early ‘Prestige’ one that always seems almost in bold font, like Calum’s 1991 where as the second has the later, none bold ‘Prestige’ decal are rarely seen stretched ‘Orange’. I almost wander if the second was resprayed under warranty?

brocklanders023":c6nuslbo said:
nteresting as the first picture has the traditional ‘Orange’ decal paired to the early ‘Prestige’ one that always seems almost in bold font, like Calum’s 1991 where as the second has the later, none bold ‘Prestige’ decal are rarely seen stretched ‘Orange’. I almost wander if the second was resprayed under warranty?

They did seem to chop and change decals a lot, but then it's also entirely possible it was reworked, also possible they had more than one set of decals. I've personally never seen that particular "prestige" downtube logo on any bike - later or newer, so I did go to lengths to try to preserve them in spirit of them with Gil's help.

Meanwell the headset is in, and it's now a rolling around on some XT hubs laced to Mavic 231 hubs that I built up a couple of years ago for the clockwork. Tyres may or may not make it to the final build, I can't decide. They are modern and inoffensive, (Panaracer Fire xc)

20171202133509-cf996fb5-me.jpg

A pile of bits, some of which are needing a bit of a clean and refurb before they go on, still waiting for the seatpost in the post..

20171202133524-11bdb8d2-me.jpg

Re:

I agree with the frequently changing decals and position they were placed. However, there's usually a start point for specific designs and all the non-bold Prestige stickers in that style I have seen have been from the era when they redesigned the Clockwork one and they seemed to run from 1992 until the Prestige went out of production. It may be that this frame was sold some time after it was built but for it to be such a early example but with seemingly later decals makes me wonder.

I'm also over thinking it. :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

That's a fresh looking Orange :cool:
This is going to look and ride fantastic when it's finished.

Back