Dura Ace vs XTR

M953 front mech looks much better than m950.
Much much better!
I don’t know what they were thinking with the M950 - it overwhelms and looks like a blade - no finesse whatsoever

Mine has got to go - works great but just ugly
Question is for a double Dura Ace or M953

Or a triple Dura Ace 7703?
Or is that as aesthetically challenged as the xtr?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 10
Agree the m950 is pretty uggers, but also quite well hidden when set-up…

Also, not sure if you want 7700 as it’s all polished silver - the next model series has more gun metal colouring I think so might be better match there.

Attachments

• AB0E68DC-AA88-4FBC-907D-B8259F2BB589.jpeg
    AB0E68DC-AA88-4FBC-907D-B8259F2BB589.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 9
  • 837658C4-135E-4E9B-9DFB-D9EC4DA57759.png
    837658C4-135E-4E9B-9DFB-D9EC4DA57759.png
    400.3 KB · Views: 9
Here is a very useful page with lots of numbers so you can work out compatabilty between rear mechs, cassettes, and shifters. Just some simple math required. The original page is 404 so here it is on scribd

https://www.scribd.com/document/392...nce-Behind-the-Magic-Drivetrain-Compatibility

i have found it very useful.

It would be handy if the text on this page could be copied and added to the site. There are other pages but some have mistakes and this was the original and most concise. Maybe all the info is on Sheldon?

By the way - considering how popular Sheldon Brown website is - and the wealth of information on it - it has to be one of the worst websites ever in terms of layout, design, navigation, ease of searching, ease of explanation and everything else. So bad that I’d rather ask here than look through pages of ill defined text and long winded explanations

Last edited:
Woah.

I mean, it's an ancient website preserved for over ten years after the man's early demise, with everything you could ever want to know about anything bike related.

I'm not sure it needs to look like an Instagram feed to be relevant and advantageous!

Woah.

I mean, it's an ancient website preserved for over ten years after the man's early demise, with everything you could ever want to know about anything bike related.

I'm not sure it needs to look like an Instagram feed to be relevant and advantageous!
Not having a dig at Sheldon - he passed away and did so in an earlier internet age
But at the guys who say they are actually maintaining and keeping it up to date. It says so on the home page.

Back