Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
A couple questions regarding Dura Ace and XTR from the 90ies

What’s difference between a Dura Ace 7410 or 7700
cassette and say XTR? In terms of weight quality etc ?

And is a Dura Ace front mech from same period double or triple? 7410 and 7700?
I’ve a double chain ring on my cranks and have M950 FM - I was thinking it may be an idea to replace this with a DA perhaps

And difference in quality between the Rear mechs ? 7410 7700 and M900 M950

Not a very technical answer I know, but both look and feel comparable quality - both beautiful pieces of design and seem, in my limited experience, to function very well...

I don't have a m950 cassette, but different spacing between road and MTB by then??

I have an almost complete DA7700 group, in boxes (for sale, ahem) happy to weigh or photo anything you'd like info on incase useful, the cassette is 11-21 i think... Any M950 I have is currently attached, but again shout if specifics are of use.

Sorry might not be the most helpful reply ever...
B

Cassettes are similar construction and spacing, just different gear ratios. I used to run 9 speed Ultegra and Dura Ace 12-27 cassettes on my weight weenie bikes.

I could be wrong but I think the road front mech pull ratio is different to MTB so an MTB shifter designed for 3sp may not work as well.

I could be wrong but I think the road front mech pull ratio is different to MTB so an MTB shifter designed for 3sp may not work as well.
is the road front mech designed for 2 speed?

The rear mechs have different cable pull ratios, too. iirc
Dura ace and m900 are basically the same quality, though. DA has the very short cages.

Interesting!

I'm actually building something with a mix of 7700 and M952 right now.

The 7700 FD is a double.

As someone else said, the cassettes are really similar construction (ti, drillium vibes) but massively different ratios, as road vs mountain.

I'm running the 7700 barcon shifters (with the Paul mounts) with an M952 RD and a 7700 FD, plus the 7700 crankset.

Here it is with the DA cassette:

tempImageJM3NSw.jpg

Please ignore they very bad chainstay wrap! I promise I had a good reason for trying it with the white electrical tape on the ends.

It's not there anymore!

I've actually already switched out the DA cassette for a modern Shimano 9-speed mountain version, so I can run a more useable ratio.

I am planning to switch out the crankset for a mountain triple next (which might have to be some other group entirely due to clearance and space issues on this very weird bike), and when I do will most likely run the M950 front mech alongside it.

Was thinking of running just a mountain two up front with the DA front mech, but I'm not sure things work that way!

This whole bike is one giant experiment/PITA for me.

I hate it. But it looks so good it just keeps me coming back for more heartbreak!

Last edited:
Interesting!

I'm actually building something with a mix of 7700 and M952 right now.

The 7700 FD is a double.

As someone else said, the cassettes are really similar construction (ti, drillium vibes) but massively different ratios, as road vs mountain.

I'm running the 7700 barcon shifters (with the Paul mounts) with an M952 RD and a 7700 FD, plus the 7700 crankset.

Here it is with the DA cassette:

View attachment 694774

Please ignore they very bad chainstay wrap! I promise I had a good reason for trying it with the white electrical tape on the ends.

It's not there anymore tho!

I've actually already switched out the DA cassette for a modern Shimano 9-speed mountain version, so I can run a more useable ratio.

I am planning to switch out the crankset for a mountain triple next (which might have to be some other group entirely due to clearance and space issues on this very weird bike), and when I do will most likely run the M950 front mech alongside it.

Was thinking of running just a mountain two up front with the DA front mech, but I'm not sure things work that way!

This whole bike is one giant experiment/PITA for me.

I hate it. But it looks so good it just keeps me coming back for more heartbreak!
Thanks - would like to see the whole bike!!
My front mech is the M950 which I really don’t like the look of - it’s just so big
I’m running a FRM CU2 evolution which is a double -
So I was thinking a DA front mech as it also has some dark grey on it as well I think which makes for a good colour match
9DEA0465-F65E-419B-B418-BB2B5BA49238.jpeg

Back