Dura Ace vs XTR

Yeah, I also hate how the M950 FD looks!

Works a treat, but such an ugly design.

It's mostly that it's very low profile for the reason I'm going to try it.

As for your bike: I think you should be fine to at least try it with the regular DA front mech, if you're running a double up front. I'm interested to hear how you get on, at the very least! As it looks like we'll be running very similar setups in the end.

7700 doesn't have any grey on it tho. It's fully silver. And very pretty!

P1080548__32979.jpg

PS. I like the idea of running some DA on a Bianchi MTB. Just makes sense for obvious reasons!

PPS. There'll be more pics of my bike eventually. Once I finally figure it out, it'll get its own thread, no doubt.

Thanks - would like to see the whole bike!!
My front mech is the M950 which I really don’t like the look of - it’s just so big
I’m running a FRM CU2 evolution which is a double -
So I was thinking a DA front mech as it also has some dark grey on it as well I think which makes for a good colour match
View attachment 694777
Why is the front mech set so high?

Those cranks are hot

As for your bike: I think you should be fine to at least try it with the regular DA front mech, if you're running a double up front. I'm interested to hear how you get on, at the very least! As it looks like we'll be running very similar setups in the end.

View attachment 694778

PS. I like the idea of running some DA on a Bianchi MTB. Just makes sense for obvious reasons!

PPS. There'll be more pics of my bike eventually. Once I finally figure it out, it'll get its own thread, no doubt.
That’s a beauty
I like that a lot! I think I’ll be replacing that M950 with one - thought the M953 is also quite nice

Why is the front mech set so high?

Those cranks are hot
As hadn’t been bolted on and fitted properly - took the picture when I took the Sachs off and was seeing how the M950 looks
It’s all big flat and overwhelming
Needs to go

View attachment 694778

Has anyone ever mixed shifters ?
I mean a normal trigger shifter for the RD and a discreet friction one for the front ?
I hardly ever use the 3 speed front - at most I might use 2

I mean can I use a, say, any friction /thumb shifter with a shimano frint mech ?
Let’s say something like a Campag or a SRAM?

With a friction shifter I don’t think it matters,

Well maybe actually, because a Shimano mech shifts quicker due to its 1:2 ratio (every 1mm pulled by the shifter 2mm moved by the mechs.)

And then an sram one would take longer to shift and it might not even reach the big ring

I would run any Shimano shifter you want in friction mode for the front.

But avoid Sram.

I think people mix Suntour XC Pro thumbies with pretty much anything, with decent results in friction. Mainly because they look great and work really well.

Or maybe something from Microdrive?

I'm using on of their thumbies for the first time on my Merlin and it's simple, functional and non-offensive design wise.

Also: cheap!

Back