Drilling out cable stops 🛠️

thom04

Dirt Disciple
I'm considering drilling out the cable stops on my Gary Fisher. The build was never going to be a proper restoration, although I have tried to keep the components era appropriate (ish).

Has anyone had good / bad experiences with drilling out stops? any good reasons not to do it?

If you're doing it to run full length housing to keep maintenance down, I don't see any issues. Assuming it's not a super rare or high end model.

Cheers @eshew 👍 yeah thats the plan - this one is going to be mainly ridden on muddy trails so I'm just imagining the cable getting all gunked up.

Its at the opposite end of the spectrum to anything you'd describe as rare or high end, but I'm still hesitant to start removing metal! I've got a dremel somewhere so maybe a little grinding wheel will be enough to make a neat job of it

you can get cable holders that screw in the cable stops. they can be used for gear cables or brake cables.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
you can get cable holders that screw in the cable stops. they can be used for gear cables or brake cables.

Cheers @geddy1972 I did come across those on a separate thread and thought they looked smart, the only thing putting me off was their reputation for turning to rust as soon as they get near moisture

Have you used them? Any problems?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers @geddy1972 I did come across those on a separate thread and thought they looked smart, the only thing putting me off was their reputation for turning to rust as soon as they get near moisture

Have you used them? Any problems?
I have been using them on my commuter bike for the past year or so so i can run full length covered cable to my gears and disc brakes and they dont show any signs of rusting or corrosion. they work very well as long as you get the type with the little metal arms that hold the cable in the adaptor.

Nothing a little bath in acetone and a coat of clear lacquer (or primer/paint) couldn't sort, if you were worried about corrosion?

I'd not seen these before, always run with frame-coloured zip ties prior but now I know these exist I may try some. Every day a school day :) Cheers

these are the ones fitted to my commuter bike. its a 1998 Giant ATX830.

Attachments

• cable adaptor 1.jpg
    cable adaptor 1.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 29
  • cable adaptor 2.jpg
    cable adaptor 2.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 28
  • cable adaptor 3.jpg
    cable adaptor 3.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 29
Ahh, these look to be alloy main body which is nice, the cable clip might even be galvo which would be cool too. Will have to look out a set for the LTS as a more durable/elegant solution to hydro disc routing.

Latest posts

Back