I have an urge not to stop - even at red lights.....

Four pages in, and no mentioned the art of track stands.
I didn't put my foot down for about 10 years , only fell off 3 , 2 when mentally compromised and 1 when distracted in a spring time rush of blood from the head .
I was a fairly aggressive character and so always stopped at lights . You can't give people grief about the rules unless you follow them yourself .
Mellower now , can't be bothered with the drama , not in the smoke any more either .

I know it undermines the Law. I know that it pisses off car drivers. I know it is BAD.
I don't particularly care about any of those things. Laws governing cycling are inadequate. Car drivers piss ME off. I'm worse than BAD. I'll stop if it's busy, slow if there's anything around, blast through when it's safe.

*In my town, many of the red lights are controlled by magnetic sensors imbedded in the pavement. Bicycles and motorcycles are too small to be detected. Therefore, in some places, it's actually legal to go through a red if there's no traffic and you're been waiting for a minute

Edit: I posted before reading the whole thread. Many good points made, traffic in my little town is quite different from what has been shared. I probably wouldn't even ride pavement in those situations

I don't particularly care about any of those things. Laws governing cycling are inadequate. Car drivers piss ME off. I'm worse than BAD. I'll stop if it's busy, slow if there's anything around, blast through when it's safe.

*In my town, many of the red lights are controlled by magnetic sensors imbedded in the pavement. Bicycles and motorcycles are too small to be detected. Therefore, in some places, it's actually legal to go through a red if there's no traffic and you're been waiting for a minute

Edit: I posted before reading the whole thread. Many good points made, traffic in my little town is quite different from what has been shared. I probably wouldn't even ride pavement in those situations

I must admit it is real bug bear of mine that bikes cannot trip some traffic light sensors. I've diligently waited 10 minutes sometimes. Now I just get off, and walk around the ones known to be problematic.

Back