I have an urge not to stop - even at red lights.....

Four pages in, and no mentioned the art of track stands.

Good point! Why are different bikes so contrasting re ease of track stands? And I got told off by the Old Bill once for doing track stands during a red cycle at some traffic lights in Brighton:

'You might fall, that's dangerous...'
'But I have never fallen doing track stands...'
'But you might...'
'Well I might get hit by a meteor too....and that's about as likely'
'Well it's a lot more likely that I will arrest you for wasting Police time...'
'Well the lights have changed and you are wasting everyone's time...can I arrest you?'
'Now don't get funny with me Sonny'
'How did you know my name?'
etc...all whilst continuing to do a track stand
ps I was young at the time
pps no one loves a wise arse...

Last edited:
Good point! Why are different bikes so contrasting re ease of track stands? And I got told off by the Old Bill once for doing track stands though a cycle of traffic lights:

'You might fall, that's dangerous...'
'But I have never fallen doing track stands...'
'But you might...'
'Well I might get hit by a meteor too....and that's about as likely'
'Well it's a lot more likely that I will arrest you for wasting Police time...'
'Well the lights have changed and you are wasting everyone's time...can I arrest you?'
'Now don't get funny with me Sonny'
'How did you know my name?'
etc...all whilst continuing to do a track stand
ps no one loves a wise arse...

This is really an odd post you started I have to say.

The angel - devil that sits upon each shoulder on me understands it to a degree. I have two more senior - one very senior - family members who repeatably jump lights if the "coast is clear". One has had a fine (at a pedestrian crossing with no one waiting to cross) and the other had a broken shoulder blade after going over a car bonnet.

Stopping is generally defined as the wheels are not moving. Putting feet down I do concur can be a PITA in certain circumstances. I consider good bike handling, good road craft and being sensible more important than fractions of seconds.

This is really an odd post you started I have to say.

The angel - devil that sits upon each shoulder on me understands it to a degree. I have two more senior - one very senior - family members who repeatably jump lights if the "coast is clear". One has had a fine (at a pedestrian crossing with no one waiting to cross) and the other had a broken shoulder blade after going over a car bonnet.

Stopping is generally defined as the wheels are not moving. Putting feet down I do concur can be a PITA in certain circumstances. I consider good bike handling, good road craft and being sensible more important than fractions of seconds.

well....it wasn't really about stopping at lights (which is the Law...) - I think you put it very well: it was more about the angel-devil tussle you describe - the URGE to carry on ... the internal dialogue; the schizoid go go go - no no no - go go go - I get The Urge when I am doing big distance off road - nothing to do with traffic lights or being on a schedule....I just don't like stopping, at all. I just wonder if my head is wired a bit weirdly from all the miles I have done, particularly those when I am zoned out, dehydrated and pretty much hallucinating from fatigue....get up to a level of pain and stay there at that pace....and go....

Like I say ... I get it. The temptation and all. Thing is, the UK, at least for me, is a rather aggressive and almost hostile place on the road.

I would like to know I had the law on my side. Always.

On the continent and elsewhere culture comes into play too. I've ridden in many a capital megatroplis and "going with the flow" is considered as important as respecting road law. So it's complex too, but still ultimately it's about the law falling in your favour.

Right now in this respect, I'm living in the middle of nowhere. The closest red light at a pedestrian crossing is 13km away, and that goes on to green most of the time if you are below 30 kph. Otherwise, I need to go about 45 Km away to find a red light at a cross roads. Sounds nice, but on one side I'm loosing sharpened urbanised road craft skills.

Last edited:
what country do you live in Woz? kph and km
it's annoying enough having facebook market place in kph and km

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
on the way to work I hit my first red light (it's always red) at 3 miles (5km for Eric). the next 2 miles I go through another 3-4 sets depending on route.

I always stop at them, time of day is irrelevant.

this morning, I had a chap decide to scream up behind me (ebike) yank it hard to the right and jump on the pavement to avoid the lights. seems fair (no it doesn't), except the car that was turning left at the junction shat himself as he came round the corner to find a fool on the wrong side of the road in the pitch black, I guess at least he had a light on.

the lights then changed and before he had chance to leap back on to the road I'd already gone past him.
Grand saving on time by riding like a muppet ZERO.

I wonder what will lodge in the drivers head, the bike who was sat at the lights behaving, or the one he nearly hit at no fault to himself?

Why, just why bother?

I am riding hard and have been riding hard for 20 mins and I just can't stop, I just can't....'
.. feeling was right up..
...actually helpful to have a stern reproach.
... ride ride ride ... I just hate stopping ....
.. only to have my riding partner stop tailing me...I just couldn't help myself and off we went again....
Back of wrist still sore….

Is this thread just a metaphor for your sex life?

Back