What highly rated products did the bike media convince you to buy, only to not live up to the review?

Oh yes! Early Grip shifts were a disaster for me although they were pushed as far superior than Shimano rapid fires.

Their insulation was pretty bad and once water was in the shifting became very dodgy if I can say so.

Oh yes! Early Grip shifts were a disaster for me although they were pushed as far superior than Shimano rapid fires.

Their insulation was pretty bad and once water was in the shifting became very dodgy if I can say so.
Early??? Once water had got in??? Au Contraire, they were pants right out of the box, and still are. Honestly, I'd prefer friction thumbies to them.

I think the marketing man had his way, as they were originally developed for mounting on Tri bars AFAIK so not even MTB/ATB related. I think if SRAM hadn't come about, the same marketeer would've pushed bar-end levers onto us as a trick new miracle gadget to aid in climbing abilities fitted in the end of our bar ends!

I bought an F4 in about 2006 to scratch the itch. Didn’t like the aluminium frame (my first) as I’m a steel guy. Headshok was disappointing and blew through its limited travel too quick. More air and it felt like a pogo stick. I’ve always ridden quite heavy and popped a valve at glentress and decided I’d had enough of it. Swapped out for some Fox after about a year.

Well worth a try, but a “never meet your heroes” moment for me.

That said, the lockout was great and really easy to use

Grip shit.
Early??? Once water had got in??? Au Contraire, they were pants right out of the box, and still are. Honestly, I'd prefer friction thumbies to them.

I think the marketing man had his way, as they were originally developed for mounting on Tri bars AFAIK so not even MTB/ATB related. I think if SRAM hadn't come about, the same marketeer would've pushed bar-end levers onto us as a trick new miracle gadget to aid in climbing abilities fitted in the end of our bar ends!
Heathens!

Tubeless setup..
“60% of the time works everytime”

The rest of the time.. tyre impossible to mount tyre impossible to seat, tyre now needs air compressor, tyres porous, tyres leaking, valves leaking, tapes leaking.

Got to stick up for gripshift here, I loved it. Admittedly I used to always fit gore-tex cables then they were silky smooth, Also used to trim the barrel down so it was super short.

Back