Does Retrobike 'Hurt' your wallet

dorsetbikeloving":1pa0eblf said:
There are some lovely bikes there. I definately can say my wallet has been well and truly bashed! In order to get an XPX in awesome condition i paid out just over £1000 to buy it within a job lot. No i am in the process of breaking all of the parts down and selling them to get my money back. I am not interested in a profit though, just getting my money back is enough for me. Then with the money i get back i thn can build a lovely project bike and maybe get another project to run alongside.

Not bad for a few months work!

Never mind your wallet, where are my forks that I paid you for? It has been almost a month and you promised a refund if they did not arrive, but guess what, I have no refund Adam!

wallett beaten into submission.. . :(

Had to go out on some pretty large and extravagant missions to get what I need- but support me- the leftovers get thrown to the masses to keep your NOS reto-queens alive. .

Well i think over 17years of riding bikes i've spent just over £2000 and owned just over 60bikes. That includes some dream bikes and your standard fair from modern to retro. For me, that's a reasonable amount.
I enjoy tinkering and riding bikes so your monies best spent on stuff you like doing - as it means feck all in the afterlife.

see retrobike as my healthy "vice" ;)

don't smoke, hardly drinks :LOL:

so I may have bought too many parts but that's part of the game ;)
and its so much easier to pick up parts in the drawer rather than spend a lot of time to try to find it and as mentionned above, I am happy to sell at cost. Speculation is for "wimps" :roll:

if you stay away from bling ano stuff, bill becomes much more reasonnable
and after a couple of years of retrobike you realize you need to ride more, build less and that
4 bikes do about it ( one to go to the market, one titanium hardtail, one steel full rigid, one steel decent suspended bike !)
maybe a fifth for doing road ;)

incidentally retrobikes are much less expensive than any other "locomotion" hobby such as motorbikes or cars ( ask Dr S ;) )

so retrobike is not a hole in the wallet, its an investment that pays fun, pleasure, enjoying the community, better health and else...

the only downside is a grumbling wife who does not speak the same "language", but we know it has been the case since the beginning of times :roll:

I have to admit, this year the funds have taken a hammering,

but I have serviced most of my itches, and the few I haven't I will leave alone so that there are still a few aces left out there

Good fun though for 3 quid a day eh Gadro? :D

Back