Does Retrobike 'Hurt' your wallet

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK so I've been on here for a while now and since joining I've caught the bug. Always liked GT's thinks its a bit of a 'Brand' mentality that took hold of me back in the 80's when I was an impressionable young sprog. My wife asked me today how much my hobby was costing. So I did a bit of research looking at my Paypal ins and outs.

I'm asking myself is it 'costly' doing the 'Retro' thing? Well here's what a year on Retrobike has been like for me and the cost has put a smile on my face.

GT Bravado 1998 NOS Frame New Parts Build (Sold :( )

CIMG0812-1.jpg

GT Zaskar 1997 (Still being tweaked :) )

CIMG1425.jpg

GT Pantera 1996 (Sold on eBay and damaged in transit :( got me my first and only negative feedback)

Complete8.jpg

GT XCR 4000 1999 (Built with parts I had scattered around the shed and sold for a profit)

CIMG1665.jpg

GT I-Drive Comp (Halfords one) Built and sold within a fortnight, again for a profit

CIMG2002.jpg

GT STS-DH 1998 Built because I couldn't find a decent Lobo. Frame was a Large and was just a tad too big. Split it and sold all the parts for a profit.

CIMG1708.jpg

GT RTS-3, full refurb, built and sold for a LOSS :(

RTS3.jpg

GT LTS-DS bought from LGF on here and given a complete makeover, including new powder coat. It's a keeper for now ;)

Complete1.jpg

GT LOBO STS-DH 1998, my personal dream bike from when I was a little bit younger and had yet to develop any wrinkles. This is what I was after and now I've got it :cool:

CIMG2578.jpg

I've also bought and sold a few modern bikes and frames on eBay, using some handy discount voucher codes in order to make a profit by splitting and reselling in order to fund the next project. I always offer bikes or frames with postage as they simply fetch more money. It's so easy to source boxes from your LBS and couriers collect from your house. I have never overpriced things and have had most of the items I've offered snapped up. Value is as always subjective, what is one persons junk is another's goldmine

I've just had a look at my Paypal account and have calculated that the whole year of buying, selling and refurb has cost me £778.54. This is amazing when you consider I've got a Lobo, Zaskar and LTS out of the deal. Plus I managed to buy a Brand New Scott Scale. What I have noticed though is that in only a year the cost of mid range retro parts have started to creep up. I only hope that this was due to 'Summer Riders' and that there will be a few more bargains to be had once the weather turns crap.. For all those out there trying to get the funds together just buy a decent modern bike, split it, and you can double your money. Another way of getting more bang for your buck is by keeping funds in your Paypal account. For some reason whenever my balance was over £300 I would get an eBay discount voucher of some sorts.

£778.54 will get you a decent 2nd hand bike. I've got four for that price and look at all the fun I had as well :cool:

it was costing me a fortune but i am thinning out my collection quite nicely now. i have decided i need my modern bike, 1 retro ss hack, one nice retro geared and 1 retro full sus. everything else is going or has gone.

the good thing about retro stuff is that it generally holds its price pretty well. i spent an absolute fortune building my white fire mountain and have got it all back selling the stuff on. you would struggle to do that with a classic car

There are some lovely bikes there. I definately can say my wallet has been well and truly bashed! In order to get an XPX in awesome condition i paid out just over £1000 to buy it within a job lot. No i am in the process of breaking all of the parts down and selling them to get my money back. I am not interested in a profit though, just getting my money back is enough for me. Then with the money i get back i thn can build a lovely project bike and maybe get another project to run alongside.

Not bad for a few months work!

BarneyRubble":1vb6hkxy said:
What have you got against chains? Only one of your bikes has one? ;)

You kidding
After buying all that he can only afford one chain ;)

BarneyRubble":228dj7c4 said:
What have you got against chains? Only one of your bikes has one? ;)

I only put chains on bikes when I am using them. Only takes two minutes to snap a chain on and off. Nasty things that cause damage. Just one little eccentricity that I have i guess :oops:

Back