Does Retrobike 'Hurt' your wallet

From discovering this website last week it took me less than 24 hours to go through the following stages:

1. Chuckling at all the strange old bikes we used to ride.

2. Getting all nostalgic and showing off my own retro bits.

3. Deciding to re-home some of the useless old bits cluttering up the shed (useless to me anyway - its amazing how many bits I've kept hold of for years even though I no longer have any bikes they would fit on).

4. Wondering how much somebody would want for their Fat Chance or looking to see if there are any 20 inch Paces for sale!

If I'm not careful it could end up getting very expensive!

wow!great bikes fella.i have a soft spot for gt also.but i sold all me rc stuff on the monday just gone and all told i had 250pound budgett in paypal account and between a few members on here (which i will praise when the items arrive as all the parts etc is in post)I have nearly built a 96 gt avalanche so to me its cheap and i definateley wuldnt get all the stuff i have bought with 250quid on modern stuff

Been on here less then a year and my wallet, paypal, and collection of retro r/c buggies has well and truely been bashed. :oops: :(

I've been through many stages and had loads of great ideas (ie seeing a bike on ebay and thinking 'that would make another great project' or 'that would be great for parts for other bikes'). I ended up with far too many projects with no chance of getting round to starting them. Had a moment of clarity recently mainly caused by being skint, having maxed out credit cards, and needing carpets for my house that's taken me over two years to renovate. This led to a mass cull and now I have a fully built Clockwork and a couple more Clockwork frames one of which is my long term project.

I'm determind to be more focussed with my retro bikes from now on and only go for ones I have a real interest in. As with any addiction though, temptation is only round the corner. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

wat retro rc was u into?iam into vintage tamiya just sold new built monster beetle and mint condition kingcab but want to get back into mountain bikes so hopefully it will have been worth selling me rc stuff

Hi Mike. Same as you mate, early '90's Tamiya. I've had nearly everything including 4 Egress's and 3 Avante's at one point. Got an Avante 2001 on ebay at the moment to add to the carpet fund. :(

Still got a mint Egress that's going no where and also Vanquish, Terra Scorcher, Manta Ray, another Egress, re-release Lunchbox, and loads of chassis + other parts. That reminds me, I promised to have a look through some stuff for some members on here. I have not forgotten just not had time to look yet. :oops: There's a thread on here discussing vintage r/c Mike so check it out!

Some more of mine will go in the future to fund retro mtb's no doubt.

Well...in two months I've gotten the equivalent of two complete bikes and a boatload of parts that I was too greedy to pass up. All of the bikes that I couldn't afford but lusted after in my teens and early 20s are here! I feel like a starving man with impulse control issues being introduced to a buffet....

Some day I'm going to have to regurgitate the unused bits back here, but now I'm definitely in a negative balance cash wise. Shipping costs and the exchange rate with the Canuck buck isn't helping either.

No complaint so far from Mrs. Canuckinboston so long as the mortgage money is safe.... :LOL:

From getting my new Kula and deciding to sell my Claudbutler. I now have the Kula, Claudbutler nearly restored, a 1991 Muddyfox Seeker Mega and picked up an 89 Diamondback Ascent EX on Monday, so far it has set me back about £200, but the DB will be moving on soon one way or another, so that's some back. However I do really want a Raleigh 531 Team Edition, some sort of retro FS rig and possibly upgrade the MF to a Sorcerer Mega.

Carl.

Back