Raleigh Yukon - possibly mid 80s(?)

LilDoodle

Dirt Disciple
I picked up this Raleigh Yukon frame and forks yesterday for a bargain.

As I was driving over there to collect I had a plan in my head of making it a single speed. Either using a coaster wheel I have or just a single speed converted cassette. But now that I am staring at it at home with bars, wheels and cranks dummy fitted to help me with sizing... I think I need heaps of speeds.

It doesn't have a rear hanger for a derailleur though. So I think that dashes my chances of fitting even an entry level 7x. With my only options being something with a 'universal fit' style, or an integrated hanger. Like on a BSO. Is that right?

Has anyone got a similar vintage bike with multiple speeds that can give me a little pic or explanation ofwhat your rear rear hanger is looking like?

Even better... does anyone have an old Raleigh with many speeds that can help me with what they look like all set up and ridable?

Attachments

• 20230615_183911.jpg
    20230615_183911.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 22
While the Yukon may be a lower model, I remember lusting after the early 90s version as it had a great paint job. Many a Raleigh had a great frame, limited by the groupset. Nothing a few choice upgrades couldn't solve.

Yeah, I don't think "lower end" is offensive when it comes to tinkering with some old things. The "lower end" stuff tends to ha e better stories.

I know there is no way I'd have thrown a Mongoose Motomag off a sketchy jump made out of a car bonnet leaned against one of my mates, over a peir and into a lake.

But my "lower end" Cyclops, I had no problem... or, my Dad had no problem with me doing it.

Made a goal to get this Yukon rideable out of some bits I had in the shed.

Ive failed. The bb it come with has a nice bend in the spindle. So... gotta organise some bits. Maybe next weekend.

Attachments

• 20230617_131243.jpg
    20230617_131243.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 11
Can I continue to ask questions in my own thread? Or do I start another? What's the etiquette here?

I'm going to go with my gut and not just clutter up the place with many threads about the same bike. But if Im wrong, tell me.

Any of you know their shit when it comes to sidepull/caliper brakes? Ive tried some mx pro bmx ones and have some brand new diacomps and shoes and both have the same issue... they only prpvide an illusion of having brakes. Neither will stop you before your impending death by collision.

Is there a trick to set up? Do they need bedding in? Do they not work properly when paired with Vee Brake levers or on alloy rims?

I'm not an expert on caliperbrakes, but I'm pretty sure they have the same pull ratio as cantilevers. Therefore, if you are using v-brake levers that could be (at least part of) the problem.

Back