Do you still have your first MTB?

Do or don't?

• Do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No don't have it but have an agreement that I can buy it back at anytime. 1984 or 5 Panasonic Pro ATB.... the first production mountain bike that utilized Shimano's Deore XT 6 speed SIS shifting.
I sold it to my roommate and old high school buddy when I left but he doesn't ride it much so it's in great condition.

Yes, I still have it. 1988 Kona Explosif - I bought it 2nd hand in 1989 for £250.
I'm using it as a singlespeed at present but here's a pic from a couple of years back (with gears).

Attachments

• 88-Explosif-2.jpg
    88-Explosif-2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,146
Do.

Still have my Alpinestars although it doesn't have any of its original running gear left, except the cantis. It was never a bog standard Cro-Mega LX anyway. My m8 worked in a LBS and he got the frame from clearance stock from the importers outside Newport (just down the road). Spent a few weeks building it up with the bits I wanted but loved it - and still do :cool:

Needs a good shot blast and respray but, other than that, still going strong.

Don't.

Had a 92ish KHS Summit, don't remember model but came with Exage kit. Loved it, it was quick and suited me down to the ground. Was toying with giving it some bounce and other shiny bits, but opted to to trade it in against the Explosif that I still have. Wrong decision as I never enjoyed riding the Kona as much.

Do.

1989 Specialized Rockhopper (Comp I think) in light grey with pink decals. Mountain LX groupset, biopace rings (28-38-48 ), 11-28 on the back. Wore out the tyres (Crossroads?) at some point, replaced with Wildslippers. Added cheap blue ano bar ends in c1995, then abandoned it in my parents shed when I went to uni and worked overseas. Retrieved and resprayed (out of necessity) in 2004; when I also fitted V-brakes, suspension forks (RC35s) and risers :oops:.

Currently languishing in the garage minus cassette, pedals and brake cables, but I still have all the original components. Needs a refinish then it will become a singlespeed or, once more, my commuter.

Yep. Diamondback Sorrento Sport. CroMo main tubes & about 1/2" of ?plush? DiamondBack front suspension. Has the kiddie seat fitted, and ridden rarely. (two boys, one seat, many fights!) Or was it the GT Avalanche? Can't rightly remember as it was over 16 years ago, but I have it still too.

Don't! :(

Although I don't miss my pink Mustang that much, or my Shogun Trailblazer2, I do miss my Tequesta, however if I'd hung onto it I wouldn't appreciate it.

Love Defiants BITD bike :cool: thats what Retro Bikes look like! :cool: :cool:

clockwork

Do

1990 Clockwork DX with holes rusted in the chain stays, its sat in the shed because i can't bring myself to bin it (£280) quote to put it right!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

is it worth it , i think not :!: :!:

And why the F**k did i have that disc mount put on....

see the holes in the piccie
:LOL:

Attachments

• my pictures0002 (3).jpg
    my pictures0002 (3).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 985
  • my pictures0001 (3).jpg
    my pictures0001 (3).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 985
Do and still ride it

Do

89 Ritchey Supercomp. Just brought it back from Canada to the Northeast, UK. Been sitting in my living room in Montreal for many years while I moved around too much.

Unrestored, the only non-original bits are the tyres (Avocet Cross Kevlars) and Deore XT Shark Fin. Both were added within 1 month of buying the bike in August 1989. Like to find some original tyres for it.

Took it out for a ride a few times over the past month and was reminded how nice it feels. Really don't think I could part with it. Nearly 20 years together is a long time.

Cheers,

Rocco

Back