Paypal f&f, Bank transfers & a seller unknown to you.

I bought a bike on eBay the other day that has been listed a few times but never made reserve. I’d bid 525 but the end price was just over £400. I received a second chance offer and snapped it up. I asked the seller how he’d like to be paid and he said bank transfer and sent his details and I just sent it over, he delivered it to me the next day with no problems and was a really nice guy. I often just pay people for bikes I win when I’ve already asked them if they will wait a few weeks for me to collect etc, so they can get on with their lives and not be tempted to re-list. Last year I didn’t collect a bike for over 2 months due to an injury I didn’t have when I placed the bid. It works for me. Any time I get stung it’s over a sale, not a purchase.

We've had around 250,000 bicycle related sales over the years, and made around 10,000 purchases.
99% of people are great - and of the remaining 1%, probably only 1% of them are crooks.
I can almost count on one hand the number of times we've been sold something fake or with hidden faults.
Some areas though the croooks congregate.
How about withheld or spoofed numbers calling on the landline?
I mean, if it's not my mum??😉

I have a personal limit on friends payments of £50 if buying. If its over that then i add the fees and pay it. As said above, if the seller is legit, they won't be bothered about you paying the fees for protection. I always let them know saying "it nothing personal...but.."

Plus, (and i know most most sensible members post tracked and insured as its now basically the same price through royal mail) if the item gets lost, there is no issues with compensation.

Back