Do I need an integrated headset for this?

mattr":1bd0gmje said:
mdvineng":1bd0gmje said:
only riding it will tell but that type of headset isn't used on high end stuff.
I have them on some high end frames, aluminium and carbon.

Might be worth weighing the frame to get an idea of what it's made out of, i.e. butted high grade aluminium or basic plain gauge.

that doesn't mean you should :)
this type don't have accurate seating qualities

mdvineng":2qt9k675 said:
mattr":2qt9k675 said:
mdvineng":2qt9k675 said:

Might be worth weighing the frame to get an idea of what it's made out of, i.e. butted high grade aluminium or basic plain gauge.

that doesn't mean you should :)
this type don't have accurate seating qualities

I cannot see how it has any different seating arrangements to a traditional or tapered, Can you explain please. It sits in a toleranced dia and on a machined face how is that not an accurate seating arrangement?

Edit: just re read the whole thread, mdvineng are you referring to the headset you linked to on eBay (If so then yes you are correct) or are you referring to integral headsets in general in which case my comments above are valid.

What he said ^^^ i have several of that type of headset. None of them are exactly cheap, or poorly made, or badly sealed. All but one are fitted to high end frames.

I have none of that make or model though. Even on the cheapy bike.

mostly referring to the eBay item and similar ones also. the vast majority of the pressed cup bearing seats are deformed either before or during insertion and rarely give uniform nor accurate seating of the bearings. For those that like them, carry on :)

So, badly fitted, cheap headsets in cheap, badly finished frames don't work very well.

Who would have believed it.

mattr":5zgowvdz said:
So, badly fitted, cheap headsets in cheap, badly finished frames don't work very well.

Who would have believed it.

a gross over exaggeration there :roll:

it doesn't have to be a badly fitted nor a poorly finished frame, they can and do distort from being fitted into good seats. in other words its a bad engineering design for cheapness and they inherent flaws.

mdvineng":sbvx6id0 said:
mostly referring to the eBay item and similar ones also. the vast majority of the pressed cup bearing seats are deformed either before or during insertion and rarely give uniform nor accurate seating of the bearings. For those that like them, carry on :)

Ah ok as I thought, you where referring to the headset you linked to. And yes I have to agree headsets like that are not manufactured to tight enough tolerances. I would say for me it would need to be a minimum for cartridge bearings and machined (not pressed) cups. You don’t have to spend loads to get that, I think I got a crane creek earlier in the year for less than £20

Timoth27":2rcui92k said:
mdvineng":2rcui92k said:

Ah ok as I thought, you where referring to the headset you linked to. And yes I have to agree headsets like that are not manufactured to tight enough tolerances. I would say for me it would need to be a minimum for cartridge bearings and machined (not pressed) cups. You don’t have to spend loads to get that, I think I got a crane creek earlier in the year for less than £20

cane creek have been fine for me too, in the past. Currently using Hope but anything of that quality works fine. CK stuff is just way over priced and isn't any better than Hope. FSA seems good too!

mattr":huwdmzad said:
mdvineng":huwdmzad said:

Ok I see this turned in to an interesting headset discussion - thanks for the input guys

bit of an update, I was going to buy the frame, but by the time I got round to it, it had been sold!

Anyway, seller told me it was 3kg for those interested, not sure what that means about butted high grade etc?

Slightly off topic, who sells cheap good quality non branded frames? Any recommendations?

Back