Tioga Cartridge aheadset, info needed….Help!!

Does anyone recognise this aheadset? I’m struggling to get it to work (it tightens but is still loose) on my MAG 21 SL/Ti forks….i can’t find any information for it
IMG_8924.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg
IMG_8926.jpeg
This is the info I had from eBay when I bought it….

Very rare Headset Made by Tioga under Licence from Dia Compe not sure what model it is circa 1998
this would make a great retro build as you can see from the loads of parts is very well engineered
it is constructed like semi intergrated free floating bearing races that can be removed from cups if necessary ,
negating the need to remove the made cups from frame very similar to modern headsets .
Modern headsets are normally integrated in headtube ,
This particular headset as seales that can be dismantled, so its is very servisable”

Do you have the tapered split-ring that goes in the top of the pictured bearing cap? It won't tighten up properly without it.

Do you have the tapered split-ring that goes in the top of the pictured bearing cap? It won't tighten up properly without it.
Yes, I’ve got that and it all fits nicely.
I’ve also checked that the top cap isn’t bottoming out on the top of the steerer tube too. Everything pulls together tight when doing the stem cap bolt up, but still significant for/after play in the headset, bizarrely?
I’m not sure what else I can be missing….

No idea what the seller is on about, looks like a conventional headset to me. Is the star nut secure inside the forks?

Play using the brakes/forks? Or just the crown...

Aka
Do check it isn't the brakes rocking back and forth on the bosses a little, or good old flex in early 90s forks.

"free floating bearing races" is that what used to be called knackered?

Dia compe USA now known as Cane Creek.

I had this when assembling the Aheadset on my FSR. I'd put it together on the workstand thinking it all went together nicely, but it wasn't until it was on the floor that I noticed the significant amount of play (like it was the wrong size headset). The movement all seemed to be at the crown (onto S-works carbon Mag forks). I found that I had to apply a decent amount of downward pressure on the assembly whilst tightening it up.

Last edited:
No idea what the seller is on about, looks like a conventional headset to me. Is the star nut secure inside the forks?
It is a conventional headset to look at. Both bearing races have significant float in them in both axis, they are designed to do this for some reason. The fork crown race seats nicely, but because the ID of the top race is bigger than the steerer tube dia. I can’t help but think there is something missing.

Back