Difference in Suntour mechs XCE/XC9010 to XC Pro/XCD range

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Does anyone know the difference in the pull/spacing of these Suntour Mechs.

I ask because old Suntour Pro-CX and CX-DT had a
215 Shifter setup for the X-1/Chroma/ XC 90x0 XCE range (and Superbe Pro/Edge/Blaze)
to the
225 Shifter for the XC PR/Comp/Ld/XCD range (and SL/GPX Radius)

(Talking pre-1992 era)
Detailed catalogues are in the archive, since I scanned a lot and put them there and I don't remember any specific details.
e.g. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery...ur+Archive/Catalogues/SunTour+Catalogue+1991/

Suntour could have nailed Shimano in this period if it’s indexed gears weren’t so damned fernickety and constantly changing, the product was definitely better (IMHO).

I think the problem will rest with Suntour’s ‘Narrow/Ultra’ or ‘normal’ indexing, there were certainly at least two versions each of 6 and 7 speed indexing for a few years.

Certainly Micro-Drive spacing was different to non-MD spacing, and there was a precursor to that in the XC9000 era too.

If you have a 7 speed standard and 7 speed MD cassette you could probably figure out the spacing and work from there.

I could,...

If anyone hasn't noticed and didn't realise Pro-CX and CX-DT are SRAM GripShift 215 and 225 both are the Suntour 7 speed versions
So it's not the speed and it is pre 1992 so not MicroDrive.

I'll see what I can dig up

Not sure I have a Normal cassette in 7 speed, probably on MD.

Some good thoughts above.

One quick if I remember the model list, what changed in Edge between 1990 model (cx-dt 215 targets this) and 1991 Edge (cx-dt 225 targets this) the only one listed with a split date.

Last edited:
Back